District of Columbia Education, Fair Copies of Letters Sent, Volume 2 (42) Aug. 2, 1869–Apr. 4, 1870

About the Project

The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Superintendent of Education for the District of Columbia, Series 1: Fair Copies of Letters Sent. Many of these documents were written by or to, Maj. David G. Swaim, the Assistant Commissioner for DC Headquarters of the Freedmen's Bureau from 1868-1869. Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the experiences of formerly enslaved men and women in North Carolina during the Reconstruction Era. Have questions about how to transcribe tables in these documents? View special directions here.

Read more

|
Show pages needing (scroll down to load more): Transcription | All

Completed!

Project Progress (details)
200 pages completed

18

Contributing
members

200

Total
pages