Mississippi Field Offices, Subordinate Field Offices: Jackson (Acting Asst. Comm.), Registered Letters Received, Part 2

About the Project

The Bureau of Refugees, Freemen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Field Offices for the State of Mississippi, Series 3.21: Subordinate Field Offices: Jackson (Acting Assistant Commissioner of the Northern District).

Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the experiences of formerly enslaved men and women in Mississippi during the Reconstruction Era.

Catalog Record |
Show pages needing (scroll down to load more): Transcription Review Notes | All
Project Progress (details)
50pages not yet started
9pages partially transcribed
7pages needing review
283pages completed

26

contributing
members

349

total
pages

12
Total Users
4
Contributions