North Carolina Field Offices, Subordinate Field Offices: Beaufort, Letters Sent, Volume 2 (71), July 1867–Nov. 1868

About the Project

The Bureau of Refugees, Freemen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Field Offices for the State of North Carolina, Series 4.2: Subordinate Field Offices: Beaufort (Subassistant Commissioner).

Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the experiences of formerly enslaved men and women in North Carolina during the Reconstruction Era.

Have questions about how to transcribe tables in these documents? View special directions here.

Catalog Record |
Show pages needing (scroll down to load more): Transcription Review Notes | All
Project Progress (details)
94pages not yet started
6pages partially transcribed
9pages needing review
8pages completed

12

contributing
members

117

total
pages

12
Total Users
4
Contributions