North Carolina Field Offices, Subordinate Field Offices: Beaufort, Endorsements Received and Sent, Volume 68, July 1867–Aug. 186

About the Project

The Bureau of Refugees, Freemen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Field Offices for the State of North Carolina, Series 4.2: Subordinate Field Offices: Beaufort (Subassistant Commissioner).

Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the experiences of formerly enslaved men and women in North Carolina during the Reconstruction Era.

Have questions about how to transcribe tables in these documents? View special directions here.

Catalog Record |
Show pages needing (scroll down to load more): Transcription Review Notes | All
Start ReviewingPlease sign up or log in to review.
Project Progress (details)
16pages needing review
14pages completed

17

contributing
members

30

total
pages

12
Total Users
4
Contributions