District of Columbia Field Offices, Asst. Quartermaster, Letters Received, Entered in Vols. 1 & 2, Nov. 1866–Dec. 1867, Part 4

About the Project

The Bureau of Refugees, Freemen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Field Offices for the District of Columbia, Series 2.1: Offices of Staff Officers: Assistant Quartermaster and Disbursing Officer.

Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the experiences of formerly enslaved men and women in the Washington, D.C. area during the Reconstruction Era.

Catalog Record |
Show pages needing (scroll down to load more): Transcription Review Notes | All
Project Progress (details)
33pages not yet started
4pages partially transcribed
66pages needing review
106pages completed

28

contributing
members

209

total
pages

12
Total Users
4
Contributions