District of Columbia Field Offices, Supt. for Washington and Georgetown, Correspondence, Registers of Letters Recd., Vol. 3 (76)
About the Project
The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Field Offices for the District of Columbia, Series 3.1: Subordinate Field Offices” Local Superintendent for Washington and Georgetown.
Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the experiences of formerly enslaved men and women in the Washington, D.C. area during the Reconstruction Era.