District of Columbia Field Offices, Freedmen’s Village, Letters Sent by the Superintendent, Vol. 111, July 18, 1867–Nov. 1868
About the Project
The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Field Offices for the District of Columbia, Series 3.4: Subordinate Field Offices, Freedmen’s Village.
Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the experiences of formerly enslaved men and women in the Washington, D.C. area during the Reconstruction Era.