Mississippi Assistant Commissioner, Letters Received, Entered in Volume 4, O–Y, Aug.–Dec. 1867, Part 1

About the Project

The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Assistant Commissioner for Mississippi, Series 4: Letters Sent.

Additional resources including a list of Freedmen's Bureau staff in Mississippi and a style sheet for help when transcribing Mississippi records are available on the Freedmen's Bureau Instructions Page.

Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the experiences of formerly enslaved men and women in Mississippi during the Reconstruction Era.

Show pages needing (scroll down to load more): Transcription Review Notes | All

Completed!

Project Progress (details)
341pages completed

118

contributing
members

341

total
pages

12
Total Users
4
Contributions