Mississippi Field Offices, Subordinate Field Offices: Lauderdale (Subasst. Comm.), Press Copies of Letters Sent, Vol. 2 (176)

About the Project

The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Field Offices for the State of Mississippi, Series 3.24: Subordinate Field Offices: Lauderdale (Subassistant Commissioner).


PLEASE NOTE: Press copies were made by moistening a piece of thin paper and pressing it on the original letter through the use of a press copying machine, which transferred some of the ink to the moistened paper. Because of the relative crudeness of this method, many of the press copies are difficult to read and some are virtually illegible. Please mark any illegible text as [[illegible]].


Additional resources are available on the Freedmen's Bureau Instructions Page. Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the lives of formerly enslaved men and women during the Reconstruction Era.

Read more

Show pages needing (scroll down to load more): Transcription | All


Project Progress (details)
286 pages completed
5 out of 5