Armstrong Manual Training School Yearbook, 1902-1903
About the Project
Help us make this fragile Armstrong Manual Training School yearbook more accessible and searchable! Armstrong Manual Training School was authorized by congress as a vocational high school for African American youth in Washington, DC, in 1902. The Renaissance Revival building was designed by architect Waddy B. Wood and named for Samuel C. Armstrong (1839-1893), a white commander of an African American Civil War regiment. On September 24, 1902 Booker T. Washington (1856-1915) delivered the keynote speech during the dedication ceremony. In 1996 the school was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. It currently serves the local community as the Armstrong Adult Education Center.