Viewing page 5 of 6
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
^[[Mr Levy]] Page Four BOSTON EVENING TRANSCRIPT, SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 22, 1930 Part Four [[line]] [[image - drawing of oil lamp]] A SATURDAY TRANSCRIPT FEATURE Originated June 7, 1924 ANTIQUES [[image - drawing of a vase in front of a plate]] [[line]] [[images - under the masthead, spanning 4 columns, are photos of three pieces of furniture, a sideboard, a bureau, a gate-leg table, and a maker's label]] [[credit]] (Courtesy of Weiner's Antique shop) [[/credit]] [[caption]] Labeled and Historical Furniture to be Sold at Auction in Boston The Hepplewhite Mahogany Serpentine-Front Sideboard Contains the Label Which Appears Below and Was Made by Thomas Burling, a New York Cabinetmaker, Who Was a Contemporary of Duncan Phyfe. This Piece Was Formerly in the Philip Flayderman Collection. The Three-Section Front Bureau of Satinwood Came Out of the Wayside Inn Before Mr. Henry Ford Bought That Historical Tavern. The Walnut Gate-Leg Table, with Splendid Turnings and of Unusual Size, Once Stood in the Longfellow House, in Portland, Maine, and Was the Property of General Peleg Wadsworth. This, Like the Bureau Above, Is from the Stock of Weiner's Antique Shop [[/caption]] [[begin column 1]] Weiners Plan Important Sale of Antiques [[line]] Labeled and Historical Furniture - McIntire and Willard Represented [[line]] By Mary Elizabeth Prim [[line]] SEVERAL unusual features combine to make the forthcoming auction of early American furniture to be held by Weiner's Antique Shop, one of the most remarkable of recent years. In the first place, Samuel and Hyman Weiner are offering the entire contents of the Cambridge storehouse of the Philip Flayderman estate, purchased some time ago from the sons of that distinguished and indefatigable collector. Then, too, both the date and place of the sale have been effectively chosen. It is scheduled for the afternoons of Dec. 3, 4, 5 and 6, which particular time coincides with the Second Annual Boston Antiques Exposition. The auction is to be at Talbot Hall, Mechanics' Building and will be the first of its kind ever held there. The location is particularly appropriate because of the connection with a great craftsman of early America, who was also a patriot: Paul Revere, founder of the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association, from which the building takes its name. Samuel and Hyman Weiner are the sons of Philip Weiner, pioneer antique dealer of Boston. They feel sure that such a collection of early Americana as this auction will feature will never again be offered to the public. When Philip Flayderman was collecting it, conditions were very different from those of the present when authentic pieces are becoming more and more scarce. [[line]] In the Rough The second generation of antique dealers of the Flayderman family are more interested in fine pieces now, consequently they were willing to dispose of this portion of their father's collection to the sons of his old neighbor. Not that this furniture isn't of the most graceful and elegant type. The majority of the pieces of this collection are "in the rough" which means that, in many cases, they did not receive the kindest treatment from their owners. The original upholstery may have been covered with gaudy chintz; one or two brasses may have fallen off and been replaced by those of a later period; or a piece was repainted by willing but inept fingers. Often, it would not be possible for the untrained eye to realize that the furniture is not in proof condition. The trade term, however, is "in the rough." As one of the Weiner brothers admits enthusiastically, "At the price we paid the Flaydermans, we didn't buy the collection: we stole it. Now, we're willing to give the collectors and dealers a break and let them steal it from us." Considering the type of furniture, it appears that both the Flaydermans and the Weiners are being very sporting about the affair. It seems, too, that all will have a chance to bid on the collection: seasoned collectors and dealers, uncertain beginners and people who like to give their friends those most swanky of Christmas gifts: genuine antiques. And everything is going to be sold. [[line]] The Ever-Exciting Label There is no greater thrill for the bred-in-the-bone collector than to look a piece of furniture over carefully and finally discover the maker's label. This particular collection includes several labeled pieces. One of the most charming is a serpentine-front sideboard of mahogany, with spade feet, in the Hepplewhite manner, which has the following label: THOS. BURLING Cabinet and Chair Maker No. 36 Beekman St. N. Y. The printing is surrounded by engravings of the sort of furniture the cabinetmaker specialized in: a table, desk and mirror. Not much is known about Burling except that he was a contemporary of Duncan Phyfe and worked in New York from about 1790 to about 1800. Thomas Hamilton Ormsbee, in his book on early American furniture makers, thinks that the cabinetmaker was probably a member of the Burling family whose name is perpetuated in Burling Slip. Of interest to all who love antiques, particularly Bostonians, will be the news that there is a tall-case clock showing the label of America's greatest clockmaker: Simon Willard. The case of mahogany is of beautiful workmanship and there is a delightful rural scene painted above the dial. The piece is finished off with a pierced, fretted pediment. On the back of the door of this clock is the celebrated label, which was also the clockmaker's advertisement--the only one he is known to have used. "Simon [[end column 1]] [[start column 2]] Willard at his clock Dial in Roxbury Street," it announces, "manufactures every kind of Clock Work," and goes on to describe the types of locks and their cost. [[line]] McIntire Mantels Several mantels from old Salem are included and are indubitably the work of the master carver, Samuel McIntire. One, particularly, shows his most characteristic applied ornament: the basket of fruit. This particular mantel has an unusual three-step moulding and exquisite reeded pilasters on each side. Others are superbly carved with swags, garlands and classic figures. New England craftsmanship is likewise represented by a number of signed Hitchcock chairs. There is a set of four with the wording used before 1829: "L. Hitchcock, Hitchcockville, Ct." Three others are marked: Hitchcock, Alford and Co. The stenciling on all these is in excellent condition, as Hitchcock and his partner are said to have protected the gilded decoration with a thin coat of shellac. Another piece has the label of a cabinetmaker unfamiliar to this writer. It is somewhat worn but reads: SANDERSHAW Cabinet and Chair-Maker Has Removed to No. 163 South Front Street 6 Doors Below Chestnut Philadelphia 180- It is not possible to distinguish the final number in the date. The label is in the drawer of a bureau of a rich-toned mahogany of Sheraton type, with a swell front. It is a very splendid piece of furniture, in keeping with the tradition of high craftsmanship of the Quaker City. To the Flayderman collection, the Weiner brothers have added several pieces which have historical value, from their own stock. One is a three-section satinwood front bureau which came out of the Wayside Inn. The present owners bought it from Mrs. Lemon who removed it with other possessions from the Inn when she sold it to Mr. Henry Ford. Also from the Weiner collection is a walnut gate-leg table of unusual size and fine turnings which once stood in the poet Longefellow's ancestral home in Portland. It belonged to General Peleg Wadsworth. All periods and types of furniture, from primitive pine to elegant mahogany, may be seen at this auction. Fine block-front pieces, Philadelphia type chairs, and an unusual assortment of four-post beds will go under the hammer of William K. Mackay, in Talbot Hall. An exhibition of the furniture will be held Dec. 1 and 2, from 10 A. M. to 10 P. M. Here is an opportunity for those who wish to join the somewhat depleted ranks of collectors of early American furniture. [[advertisement]] ITALIAN ANTIQUES [[image - photo wooden chest]] [[caption]] Illustrating one of several Walnut hand carved chests. Others more elaborate [[/caption]] A new shipment of Italian antiques and works of art will be on display next week. AMERICA'S LARGEST COLLECTION OF ITALIAN ANTIQUES Angelo Lualdi, Inc. 11 and 13 Newbury Street, Boston, next to the Ritz-Carlton Cambridge Florence, Italy [[/advertisement]] [[end column 2]] [[start column 3]] Boylston Place of Yesterday and Today [[line]] Alleys and Lanes Which Became Thoroughfares - Famous Residents [[line]] By Lena B. Newton [[line]] THIS little story of a little old lane, situated in the very heart of the city of Boston, has been gathered from a few facts, picked up here and there and everywhere, which have been pieced together like patch-work, to form a connected story of an old-time roadway, from its earliest infancy. A breath of old Boston--the Boston of two hundred years ago, held quite unexpected by passers-by, in the midst of the din and roar of a noisy thoroughfare! It was my good fortune, a few years back, to stumble upon an old dwelling, one of two left intact at the end of this blind lane. The whole setting, so snugly entrenched from the main artery of traffic, by surrounding business blocks, fashioned itself into an ideal location for the display of antiques. No sooner thought, than done. And then--history drifted in. One, and then another, who found this antique corner, were reminded of interesting data connected with the lane, and it was soon found that this particular location, number 5, hooked up with fascinating interest to a chain of events which plainly prove that Boylston place veritably is an ancient landmark. In 1719, one Daniel Neal said of Boston, "There are at present, 22 Allies, 36 Lanes, 42 Streets, and 3000 Houses." The hands of time, with the hands of men, have wrought such changes in the two hundred and eleven years since then, that many of the original alleys and lanes have completely disappeared. Some few still remain intact in modern setting. Some have come to be main thoroughfares. Many are busy shopping streets. Boylston street, now one of the most congested thoroughfares of Boston, runs at right angles from Tremont street. These two streets bound Boston Common on two sides. Tremont street runs north and south. Boylston street runs out from the city, east to west. Opposite the Common, leading in from 120 Boylston street (the Exchange Trust), is this blind lane, this ancient landmark of Boston. It is called Boylston place. This lane runs north to south, half through the middle of a city block. This block is enclosed by Boylston street (north), Tremont street (east), Eliot street (south) and Park square (west). It must be remembered that in those early days Boylston street was known as Frog lane; Eliot street was Foster place. Pleasant street began at the corner of Boylston street and Park square. The "Back Bay" was not even in existence, and the exuberant River Charles spread itself luxuriously over all the intervening land, close up to Boston Common, west. Charles street, which today separates the Public Garden and the Common, was laid out in 1803. Where the Little Building now stands, at the corner of Tremont and Boylston, a Rev. Mr. Annen had residence. All the land extending west from his property, down "Frog lane" to Pleasant street, fronting on the Common and running through to Foster place belonged to one Josiah Torrey. Most of this estate was field and pasture. On a site well over to the eastern half, midway between Frog lane and Foster place, there stood a tannery which belonged to Torrey, the location probably chosen because an arm of the river backed up through this land. Nearer Park square there was a well, and all the people thereabout used this well as common property and depended upon this water for their use. A rough cartway in from Frog Lane, and a corresponding one in from Foster place, met at the tannery. In due time, this became an open roadway from one street to the other. This tannery was located on the right side from Frog Lane, [[end column 3]] [[start column 4]] half way down Boylston Place, the primitive ancestor of which was that old-time, rough-rutted cartway. In reading of the early days of Boston, it is amusing to note, that the mansions and homes of the well-to-do were set on Tremont, West, Washington, Summer and other adjoining streets (which today form the business center) as being the select residential sections, while the present day aristocratic Beacon Hill served these same families as pasture land. Josiah Torrey chose to live near his business and his pasture lands. His home faced Pleasant street, just beyond the corner of Frog Lane. Turning in from the rough roadway, a winding road led to the rear of the tannery, where were the "tan-pitts, lime-pitts, chimneys and fatts." South of the tannery cartway was a "house and yard." This is Number 5, until recently the Shop of Antiques. Mention is also made of a "mansion house with a garden, "beyond that, and this residence extended to within forty feet of Foster Place. In 1790, Josiah Torrey died. His estate was appraised at £1057, 2s, and in his will was specifically divided into five lots for his five children. This will follows in part, since some of its tenets will exist in the deeds of present-day owners. To Ann Ellen (daughter), wife of Josiah Allen, "One half of tan-yard and large garden, with all buildings and tan-pitts on same, together with the privileges of the well and pump, which is in that part of the tan-yard which we have called Number 2, paying half the necessary repairs of the same; bounded northerly, on Pleasant Street, measuring 60 ft., to middle of passageway of fifteen feet, which we have left in common between lots 1 and 2, for a cartway to the tannery yard. Easterly, on land now or late belonging to Rev. Annen, measuring 240 ft.; south, 78 ft.; west, on Number 2, measuring through middle, 247 ft. Also, east end of mansion house, from center stack of chimneys, with the land under and at the end of same." To Samuel Torrey (son)--"a hard ware merchant in Dock Square, Westerly end and kitchen of late mansion house, one half tan-yard, adjoining to lot, tan-pitts, buildings, lime-pills, and fatts." To Josiah (son), "one-half pasture land." To Mary (daughter), "one half pasture land." To Ruth (daughter), "remainder of property." The reference to the "late mansion house," in Samuel's portion, implies that the place was down, partially, at least, before Josiah Torrey's death. The cartway to the rear of the tannery, left "15 feet wide, to be used in common" between lots is still there, between numbers 4 and 5. On Feb. 27, 1795, a company was established for supplying the town with water from Jamaica Pond, in Roxbury, so that the well to be used in common, soon passed from use. Evidently, with the settlement of the estate, the tannery was no more, for deeds of sale and transfer follow fast within the next few years. For instance: Samuel sold to David Townsend, a lot facing Frog lane. Josiah sold to Samuel, his entire lot, and Samuel sold to David Townsend the back of that lot. These exchanges were within the family. Gradually these sections were sub-divided into building lots. And so the changes came. At that time the opposite side of Frog lane, bordering the Common, was private property, the residences fronting Frog lane, the back yards adjoining the Common. In 1754 the town voted to buy the burying lot on the Common, known then as South Burying Ground, and in 1810 changed to Central Burying Ground. This old cemetery still lies directly opposite the entrance to Boylston place. Later it was voted at town meeting to acquire the entire strip of property abutting Frog lane, to be included and fenced in the Common. Part of this was purchased in 1787 from William Forster, father-in-law of the late Harrison Gray Otis. In speaking of this addition to the Common, so closely identified with the history of Boylston place, we are reminded, that in 1803 the old town hay-scales stood on Boston Common almost opposite Boylston place. The city pound and stables were near by. Just east of the Burying Ground stood the Hearse-House and the Gun-House of one of the [[end column 4]] [[start column 5]] artilleries. These encumbrances were banished not so long ago after the cows were deprived of pasturage. Later, in 1863, this same ground was used as a deer park. In 1820 this through tannery cartway was raised to the dignity of a name of its own and became Boylston court. Frog Lane had become Boylston street. The Boylston homestead was at the corner of Washington and Boylston streets. In 1836 the lane stepped up another peg and became Boylston place. By deed and sale, the property was divided into lots, and houses were erected on both sides of the road. Two of the later ones are listed as "tenements, occupied by Emery and Graves." Two new brick dwelling-houses, which were evidently rented, were later willed to the Massachusetts General Hospital, and to the American Education Society. This was in 1834. As time passed, it was decided by abutters that Boylston court was quite too select for intimate concourse with Forster place (by this time called Eliot street), and in 1835, when James Brackett purchased the whole southern half of the property, on both sides of the court, several requisites and restrictions were included in the deed. One of these was, "The erection of a building at back of court, with rear brick wall at least three stories high, with no connecting passageway from the court." An interesting twist in connection with this deed, came to light in recent years, with the building of the Eliot Street Garage, fronting on Eliot street, which has the necessary rear brick wall, three stories high, backing on Boylston place. The Supreme Court upheld the terms of the old deed, and overruled permission for entrance from Boylston place, and only by paying rental to abutters is a foot passageway permitted. In July, two years ago, this exit was definitely closed. It is said that at one time, there was a pond of note between Boylston place and Tremont street. Later when the Boston Public Library stood on Boylston street, on the eastern section of what was Torrey property, a rear entrance was gained through a narrow walk leading in from Boylston place. And down this lane, daily trod such illustrious men as Lowell, Emerson, Longfellow, Hawthorne, Holmes and many others of renown. Indeed, Hawthorne's son was born on part of this Torrey property, on what is now Carver street, another narrow thoroughfare, parallel to Boylston place nearer Park square. Edgar Allan Poe also lived on this street. Dr. J. F. Manning, one time minister of the Old South Church, lived on Boylston place. It was his daughter, who married the late Dr. George Gordon, eminent writer and preacher, and for so many years pastor of the Old South. In his book, "Son of the Middle Border," Hamlin Garland refers to his residence there. At one time, Miss Fay Davis, a well-known actress, was living there with her mother, who kept boarders in order to educate her daughters. Mr. Garland lived with them. This was in 1884-5, and they, too, lived in this little old house at Number Five. The Black Cat and Lombardi Inn are delectable memories of by-gone days. As time passed, the lane took a downward trend, and obviously degenerated. It is hinted that a famous gambling house thrived there for a time, quiet and unobtrusive. Boylston place of a surety, was losing caste. Lilla Viles Wyman, internationally known in the dancing profession, and a favorite of Boston, began her teaching there. Her own version of her associations on Boylston place throws an interesting sidelight on an amusing incident of the time. The four walls of the House of Gambling were shrouded in the mystery of one or two murders which had occurred, probably necessitating the vacating of these premises. Raymond, a costumer, later leased the property, and Mrs. Wyman engaged her classroom from him. A housekeeper cared for the place. Many times, Mrs. Wyman detained to a late hour, would remain for the night. It was commonly believed that the place was haunted by ghosts. Uncanny and gruesome noises invariably came with the dark, sending creepy chills to the marrow. The valiant housekeeper knew not fear, and with the first wail, was wont to light her candle, and, firm-footed and scornful, would search upstairs, downstairs, from attic to basement, bent on routing the ghost. Many Continued on Following Page [[end column 5]] [[start column 6]] [[advertisement]] Two important Sales at the AMERICAN ART ASSOCIATION ANDERSON GALLERIES • INC NEW YORK CITY [[line]] The MONELL COLLECTION On Friday evening, November 28, the choice collection of the late Colonel Ambrose Monell of Tuxedo Park, N.Y. will be dispersed by order of Mrs. Ambrose Monell SEVEN MASTERPIECES OF PAINTING by REMBRANDT * REYNOLDS RAEBURN * FERDINAND BOL GOTHIC STAINED & PAINTED GLASS PANELS GOTHIC & RENAISSANCE FURNITURE & SCULPTURE * MING PLAQUES Now on Public Exhibition The de luxe catalog will be sent upon receipt of $5- the ordinary edition gratis to interested persons. [[line]] The Magnificent Collection of MR. AND MRS. CLAUS A. SPRECKELS At Auction on December 5 and 6 The collection comprises the entire contents of Villa Baratier at Saint-Jean, Cap Ferrat, Alpes Maritimes, France and includes XVIII century French furniture and decorations, tapestries, paintings, European porcelains, and Chinese ceramics and screens. The catalogue, which contains about 200 illustrations, is now ready and will be mailed upon request to interested persons. Public Exhibition Opens November 29 [[line]] Bids received by mail, telephone, or telegraph are executed free of charge. [[line]] 30 EAST 57TH STREET Telephone PLAZA 1270 [[/advertisement]] [[advertisement within a mirror frame]] The BOSTON Antiques Exposition DEC. ONE to DEC. FIVE inclusive HOTEL STATLER BALLROOM Opens Monday at Eight P.M. Daily thereafter at Eleven A.M. EXHIBITS - MUSIC - LECTURES [[/advertisement]] [[advertisement]] The Present AT THANKSGIVING A Bit of Old Silver [[line]] Pairs of fine old Irish Rattail Tablespoons, made in Dublin, 1780, by Michael Keating, specially priced $25.00 pr. while they last. Old English Tablespoons $7.00 each up. Geo. IV Knife Rests. Pairs $15 and $18. Old English Tea Spoons. Sets of 6 at $15 and $20. Selection Georgian Sugar Tongs $7.50 to $15. Geo. III Large Soup Ladles $20 and $30. Hallmarked Salt Spoons. Pairs $8. Sauce Ladles $16, Pair $30. Georgian Cream Pitchers $65 and$75. Old English Open Salts $75 pair. Old English Punch Strainers $65 to $100. [[line]] Also Gifts of Old Pewter Plates - Porringers - Flagons - Pitchers [[image - drawing of portion of a brick building, 3 windows above a door labeled 79 GEBELEIN]] ANTIQUES IN METALS Early American and Old English Silver & Pewter [[line]] MODERN ADAPTATIONS Silver Services Wedding Silver--Gifts Presentation Pieces Maker of Fine Silver GEBELEIN 79 Chestnut Street Foot of Beacon Hill [[/advertisement]] [[advertisement]] Old Russia A shop dealing in Russian and Other European Antiques A new shipment has just arrived. 16 Arlington Street, Boston [[/advertisement]] (n) [[advertisement]] HEPPLEWHHITE CARD TABLE ALSO SEVERAL CHAIRS Telephone Breakers 5575-M. (n)2t (491B) n 21 [[advertisement]] SAFFORD'S The Fitchburg Antique Shop 45 MECHANIC STREET All original. Butterfly Table, duck-foot wing chair, American historic china, fine glass and many old New England treasures. [[/advertisement]] (n)S2t n22 [[advertisement]] DUTCH WATER BENCH, Welch Cupboard, pine and maple chest, 34in. maple desk, Pewter, prints and old glass. 1631 Beacon St., Waban. CEN ter Newton 0095-W. (n) [[/advertisement]]
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.