Viewing page 10 of 135
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
HISTORY OF THE SCHOOL The Taipei American School Association is a voluntary organization of parents, formed for the specific purpose of giving their children the best possible opportunity to receive a western type education. Membership is open to all parents who support this objective; eight nationalities are now represented in the Association. The School is a self-supporting enterprise, financed entirely by tuition fees, and dedicated to high standards for the academic, physical, and social development of its students. A full schedule is offered from kindergarten through senior high school, using the Calvert System of instruction where applicable. The School had its beginning on September 26, 1949, with eight students, some Chinese and some American, in one classroom in a downtown Taipei church. The growth was rapid; by the end of 1951 there were 120 students, and the school found it necessary to move into a building on Nung An Street, which was purchased with the help of a loan from the Bank of Taiwan. Soon the large influx of American dependents rendered that location inadequate; and during the summer of 1953, the School constructed a much larger building on a newly leased lot on East Chang An Road. In September 1954, it became necessary to begin operation on a "two-shift" basis. When further expansion became necessary for the 1955-1956 session, a modern 7 classroom building was erected for the high school, followed closely by still another 5 classroom extension completed in April, 1956 Concurrently the School has given substantial financial, and moral support to the American Youth Center Association which is now erecting a large modern recreational building which the School will use to broaden and improve its athletic and social program. Throughout its rapid expansion, the School has maintained and improved its academic standards, and its credits have been universally accepted by educational institutions in the United States. Now, in May 1956, there are 992 students and 49 teachers. The School has an annual budget equivalent to more than U.S. $200,000. A highly qualified full-time superintendent has been employed and will arrive in July The impressive record of the School has been made possible by the loyal and continuing efforts of the Association, the Board, the School Administration, faculty and students, as well as encouragement from interested Chinese and American agencies in Taiwan. The School is proud of past accomplishment and looks to the future with confidence
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.