Viewing page 15 of 105

[[Note: appears to be bottom half of the newspaper page on page 14]]

Record of the Journal Thermometer for the Past 24 Hours.
Highest, at 12:30 p.m.  [[?]]  83
Lowest, [[at]] 6 a. m. yesterday ....56
At 2 a. m. to-day.....61
Weather conditions yesterday could not have been improved upon, in the opinion of the people of this city. It was an ideal Labor Day, in marked contrast with the miserable weather which prevailed regularly on the three preceding Labor Days.  The morning broke cool and clear, but it was not long before the sun warmed the atmosphere and the temperature began to rise.  It was not too warm, however, and during the afternoon a gentle breeze made the weather conditions more comfortable still. The 
[[first part of next seven sentences cut off]]
[[?]] temperature for the past 24 
[[?]] 83, was registered at 12:30 yesterday 
[[?]] fternoon and the highest, 56, at 6 
[[?]] k yesterday morning.  At 2 o'clock 
[[?]] morning the thermometer in the 
[[Jour?]]nal Office indicated a temperature [[?]] degrees.

Indications for To-day.
[[boxed]]FAIR[[/boxed]] Washington, Sept. 4—Weather forecast: For New England and Eastern New York, fair Tuesday; Wednesday unsettled, probably rain, light to moderate variable winds.

For Providence, fair weather.

Weather conditions and general forecast: The Western area of low barometric pressure covers the Plains States, the Rocky Mountain and Plateau regions, and during the last 24 hours it was attended by showers in the northern Rocky Mountain regions, the Plains States and the Mississippi Valley.

Temperatures continue low in the Eastern States and considerably cooler weather prevails along the northern border from Minnesota westward. The weather is warmer in the Middle Plains States and the central Rocky Mountain region.

The Western disturbance will continue to move east and will be attended by showers Tuesday over the Great Central Valleys, the Lake regions and the Plains States, and Wednesday in the Eastern States.

No important temperature changes are indicated for the Gulf and Eastern States during the next 48 hours.

Boston, Sept. 4.—Forecast for Boston and vicinity: Tuesday fair, light variable winds; Wednesday partly cloudy weather, probably showers in the afternoon or night, light southwest winds.
Miniature Almanac Sept. 5.
Sun Rises...5:15 | Moon Sets..1:31 P. M.
Sun Sets...6:13 | High Tide..6:07 P. M.
Motor car lamps must be lighted..7:13 P. M.
S. S. Berlin, from Bremen.
S. S. Minnetouka, from London.
S. S. Martha Washington ,from Trieste.
S. S. Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse, at Cherbourg from New York.
S. S. Konig Albert, at Gibraltar from New York.
S. S. La Bretagne, from Havre for New York.
S. S. Lake Erie, from Havre for Montreal.
S. S. George Washington, from Cherbourg for New York.
S. S. Princess Irene, from Gibraltar for New York.
Reported by Wireless.
S. S. Amerika, Hamburg for New York, reported 1260 miles east of Sandy Hook at 6:15 a. m. yesterday. Dock about 11 a. m. Thursday.
S. S. Mesaba, London for New York, reported 1200 miles east of Sandy Hook at 7:15 a. m. yesterday. Dock about 8 a. m. Friday.
S. S. Olympic, Southampton for New York, reported 810 miles east of Sandy Hook at 4:56 a. m. yesterday. Dock late to-night or  8 a. m. to-morrow.
S. S. Kronprinz Wilhelm, Bremen for New York, reported 760 miles east of Sandy Hook at 5:03 a. m. yesterday. Dock about 4:30 p. m. to-morrow.
S. S. Genoa, Genoa for New York, reported 735 miles east of Sandy Hook at 5:55 a. m. yesterday. Dock about 9:30 a. m. to-morrow.
[[next column]]
[[sage could be forced through the crowd was taken to the clubhouse.
"Hello, Ovie," was a general expression all along the line, and the ever-genial aviator responded with a laugh. One of his first remarks was that the field was excellent, that the crowd was enormous, and that he was glad to arrive here so as not to disappoint the thousands who had collected.
Ovington's chief mechanic had been assigned to this control, and he was on hand when the monoplane landed with other assistants to look over its intricate mechanism. A line of cavalrymen formed about the machine as it stood on the far side of the field, and held the crowd in check, while the mechanics tested here and there to see that everything was in complete readiness for the last leg of the journey to Atlantic.
Early in the afternoon an extra propeller for the monoplane had arrived on the field, but it was not needed, as Ovington reported having not the slightest trouble on the way here. 
After a brief stop at the clubhouse Ovington returned to his machine where it stood, eager to get away again for the finish. As soon as the crowd was cleared back he started off, the machine running along the ground for perhaps 100 feet before rising into the air. Making one turn about the field for the purpose of making altitude, Ovington headed toward Boston, going nearly at right angles to the grandstand and offering excellent opportunity to follow his flight.
Fading gradually out of sight in the clouds as he came, he passed out over Providence proper and into Massachusetts at the rate of about a mile a minute.
The crowd was allowed only a few minutes to talk about Ovington and his machine before the announcers sent word about the field that Lieut. Milling's biplane had been picked up by the field glasses at almost the same point that Ovington was first discovered.
It was about 5:01 o'clock when Ovington sailed away from the field and at 5:20, unofficial time, Lieut. Milling's machine came to rest after an excellent but somewhat exciting landing. The excitement was all on the part of the crowd, which surged upon the field, nearly in the way of the machine. It took much scampering to get out of the biplane's path.
The crowd, about this time, was busy turning first one way and then the other, one time watching Ovington sail away into the clouds, and again watching Milling advance out of other clouds. Meanwhile, the Troop B detail was doing all it could to clear a landing place.
The biplane, when first it came into view, could not be distinguished as the kind of craft it was, but gradually the planes became visible, and then the aviator himself, well toward the front and beside his engine, could be made out against the blue sky.
Ovington, in the monoplane, could not be seen at all, being all under cover but the top of his head. Milling, on the other hand, was completely in sight, there being no body to his machine in which he could sit.
Milling was carried by the wind more than was Ovington and as he neared the field he was seen to drop away from the grandstand, so that as he went over the field the crowd was almost directly beneath him and the open field was to his right. He had started to drop toward earth and for a moment it looked as if he might come down in the crowd.
Flying the full length of the enclosure, Milling made a turn, and then running back up the field, lighted easily, while under considerable headway. As he passed over the field first, the crowd, which was apparently being left behind, turned and ran after him, and so when Milling turned about, he headed directly into this crowd.
It was a general scramble for a minute, but the field was opened up before him and Milling came to a stop not many inches from the edge of the group. Again the field surged with humanity, and the young army lieutenant was cheered and applauded for many minutes. He was taken to the clubhouse and first of all, asked for hot coffee.
Just a few minutes before 6 o'clock Milling got under way for Atlantic and the finish line. While he was at the clubhouse his assistants wheeled his machine to the end of the field near the first-quarter mark on the mile track, and headed it toward the left, from the grandstand. 
Wrapped upn in extra clothing which he borrowed from some of the guests

when going into the wind than with it, he made the turn for that purpose. Having reached a point well over the centre of the field, Milling turned outward again, and this time set sail directly for the finish line at Atlantic. Within a minute or two he was a mere speck above the horizon and in a few more he had vanished into the clouds and the dusk of evening, then falling.

Crowds at Squantum Carry Ovington
and Milling on Shoulders.
Special to the Journal.
Boston, Sept. 4.—Deafening cheers from 30,000 wildly enthusiastic spectators greeted both Ovington and Milling when they landed at Squantum to-night, winners of the greatest cross-country aeroplane race in the history of aviation in America.
The first news of Ovington came from Blue Hill, when he was sighted flying 6000 feet in the air.
Rockets burning black smoke were sent hurtling into the air and excited crowds rose to their feet in time to see the aviator tilt his wings and start the volplane, which was to send him down fully a mile to their very feet. 
It was a grand finish to a grand race.
Ovington made a long graceful glide, extending over three miles, and when he reached the finish line he was barely 200 feet in the  air. A circle about the course brought him down close to the ground. His engine was cut out and the momentum was lost precisely on the finish line, where the aviator's head fell back from the chassis upon the shoulders of his bride, who received the kiss of victory with tears in her eyes.
Mayor John F. Fitzgerald, George W. Beatty and Capt. J. C. Barr fairly tore the aviator from his seat and, raising him on their shoulders, carried him up and down the field, while the band played "The Star Spangled Banner" and the

[[lines missing]]
with Ovington, tossed him to the shoulders and carried him about the field.
Ovington's finish of the cross-country flight caused him definitely to decide to enter the Pacific-Atlantic aeroplane race. To-night he announced that within two weeks he would be on the Pacific coast and ready to start across the country for the $50,000 prize for the first aviator to cross the entire country in an aeroplane.
Surrounded by a group of reporters, Ovington told of his tri-State flight.
"It was the greatest flight of my life," said Ovington."Throughout the entire trip I maintained an altitude averaging 5000 feet, and once I was more than 7000 feet high. It was terribly cold up there, but I found that the air cooled my motor at that altitude. Not once did the motor missfire. Once or twice I was lost in the clouds, and at one time from Providence to Boston I feared that I was far from my course. In fact, it was not until I saw the clouds of smoke over Boston that I perceived that I was over the field.
"And, boys, two weeks from now, I intend to start from San Francisco to New York on that transcontinental flight."
Mrs. Ovington, who stood near by, heard this statement and started to speak.
"Yes, I know that we were going to keep this a secret," said the West Newton aviator. "But, dear, I couldn't keep it any longer."
Ovington will fly the same machine in the flight across the continent that he used to-day.
"But for the fact that I lost my way over Concord, Mass., I would have made the distance in a shorter length of time," said Lieut. Milling.
Turing to Ovington, who was standing near by, the army aviator added: 
"I wanted to catch you, but I couldn't."
The Labor Day crowd, which tested the seating capacity of the field at Squantum

[[lines missing]]
for Beatty.
The figure eight speed event about pylons 1 and 4 developed some intense rivalry, which finally resulted in Grahame-White protesting Eugene Ely's mark and the announced determination of the latter to quit the meet, an act easy of accomplishment, since the latter's original contract only called for flights up to the close of the meet to-day, the flying for to-morrow and Wednesday being postponed events from the rainy spell of last week.
Sopwith made seven figure eights in 22 minutes 19 seconds. Beatty took 23 minutes, 36 seconds and then Ely came out in his Curtiss flyer and cut turns, standing his aeroplane on end and came off with a mark of 16 minutes 50 3-5 seconds.
Grahame-White, with his Nieuport, too swift to turn sharp corners, was able to make but 17 minutes 19 seconds, although his speed on the stretches was tremendous. His mark was nearly a minute behind Ely's and he immediately protested the latter's work. He claimed the Curtiss man had not rounded the course after completing his figure eights. The contest committee sustained the protest and ruled Ely's flight as not counting. Then came the announcement of the disqualified flyer that he should not appear again during the meet.
A passenger-carrying contest of 18 miles, 12 laps of the course, brought out Beatty, carrying W. A. P. Willard, brother of Charles F. Willard, the aviator; Sopwith with D. P. Myers, a Boston newspaper man, and Grahame-White with a mechanician. Grahame-White was the winner, his time being 17 minutes 27 4-5 seconds, with Sopwith second in 19 minutes 25 1-5 seconds, and Beatty third with 29 minutes 50 1-5 seconds. Grahame-White's time is believed to be a new record for the distance.
The last number on the programme was an altitude flight, in which Grahame-White, in his Nieuport monoplane, went up 3000 feet in 5 minutes 30 seconds, the best mark of the meet to date.
As a side feature of the day's programme Capt. Wise of the Sixth Massachusetts Volunteer Militia, went up with Sopwith and practiced target shooting with a service rifle. He made six hits out of seven shots on a 6x8 foot target going at a speed of 45 miles an hour 100 feet above the ground.

[[missing lines?]]
tween the announcements of the progress of the flights, kept the people in happy mood and prevented the interval of waiting for the appearance of the first aviator from becoming monotonous.
A detail from Troop B, First Squadron, Rhode Island National Guard, acted as a cavalry patrol in the park. The troopers, under command of Capt. J. J. Richards, included Sergts. Fred Nield, John Rancourt, Samuel Hart, William Eagleson, Corps. Arthur Gardiner, George Aldred, Eugene Bonner, Ernest Goodrill, Trumpeter Oscar Lingren and Troopers Benjamin Barr, Arthur Cole and James McDonough. They were deployed about the race track and along the fence, and did their best to restrain the frequent storming parties which sought to swarm the fences from the outside.
At 3:15 o'clock there came a sudden rush above the grandstand and a chorus of exclamations from the women spectators. A shout and a cheer quickly followed. It turned out that the cause of the commotion was a pigeon, startled from its roosting place among the timbers of the grandstand roof, which fluttered out from the stand above the heads of those seated. For a moment excited questions were bandied back and forth and then the crowd, realizing that the bird was not one of the expected aviators, yelled with laughter and cheered the bird, as it swept in graceful curves in front of its nesting place.

At 3:18 Governor Pothier and his staff arrived in Col. Harry Cutler's automobile. The band struck up "Hail to the Chief," and the crowd cheered as the distinguished party entered the quarters reserved for the officials of the meet.
Stone's mechanician appeared on the track shortly after 3 o'clock carrying a spare propeller blade, which was to be in readiness in case the aviator met with any mishap in landing at the park. The spare blade, however, was not needed, as Stone was one of those who failed to materialize.
Then came the announcement that Ovington was passing over Woonsocket and the crowd had hardly settled itself after than announcement when there came a hoarse shout through the megaphone: "Ovington is sighted! He is coming over that new building up the course!"
The huge assemblage turned toward the north as one individual. Eyes were focused on as many different spots in the slightly clouded sky in that direction as there were individuals in the park. The trained observers, however, shouted encouragingly to the people and tried to give a definite location in the northern sky where Ovington was approaching. The smoke bombs, which had been sent into the air at intervals of a couple of minutes apart during the previous 10 minutes or so, burst and made blotches of black against the blue [[?]] heavens.
Suddenly someone in he crowd [[?]] the aviator.
"There he is!" was the shout.
The thousands of interested persons stretched their necks and then another man picked out the little black speck hovering above a fleecy white cloud. The speck became larger and larger until it was plainly discernible to all.
"Wow!" yelled one man, waving his ha excitedly. "Look's like a darning needle!"
People squinted along the outstretched fingers of entire strangers and finally made out the rapidly approaching air craft. With the motionless outspread wings, the monoplane indeed appeared like a dragon fly. The cry was caught up by hundreds of voices. "Thee he comes!"
The third of a mile or so of automobiles set up a terrific honking and squealing, and the song of the siren was heard by the aviator long before he made out the field upon which he was to land.

Then the excitement took on an added notch as the monoplane was seen to drop lower in its flight. Cheers began to rend the air, and as the machine dropped again and again into still lower altitudes the band struck up a welcoming strain.
There was a sudden hush and in that interval the hum of the motor on the monoplane became audible, faintly at the first, but springing to a higher and still higher key as the air craft rapidly approached the landing spot.
Out on the field there was a bonfire throwing up a cloud of smoke, the smudge of which was to be a guide to the aviator as to his landing place. As Ovington's machine neared the confined space the car tipped downward at an angle and with a final clatter and whir dripped to rest on the greensward in as pretty and graceful a landing as could be wished.
Then the cheering rang out in earnest.

[[cut off]]
over the northernmost limits of the city he had been sighted by all those who were awaiting his landing at Narragansett Park.
On and on came the aircraft, and bigger and bigger it grew. Milling flew higher than Ovington and did not start to descend as soon as the other man. The cavalry had cleared the centre of the field and as the biplane swept over the fence of the park and across the open area, cheer after cheer greeted the aviator.
  He flew well beyond the white mark on the ground and then made a short turn and swept back on his course, coming to ground in a sharp descent and reaching a safe and successful landing on top of a slight knoll at the northerly end of the race track inclosure [[enclosure]]
  Then the crowd swarmed again and stood about the machine while the aviator was welcomed and escorted to the clubhouse by the committee.
  When the army airman made his departure, he circled about the grounds twice before setting down into his straightaway course to Boston, cheer after cheer following him as he stretched out on his long 42-mile dash.

Fifteen Thousand Watch Contests of labor Unionists.

Fully 15,000 yesterday attended the games of the Central Federated Union on the ball ground at Crescent Park. Cash prizes of $3 and $2 for first and seconds were offered in all events, with the exception of the three-legged race, for which the prices were $10 and $5.
  The summary: 100-yard dash - Won by B. Flanagan; J. Degnan, second. Boys' race - Won by John Mahon; F. McDermott, second. Girls' race - Won by May Brodie; Catherine McCarthy, second. Ladies' race - Won by Mrs. Curran; Miss Carpenter, second. Shoe race - Won by J. Degnan; F. Tremell, second. Hammer throw - Won by Thomas Shaw; Dennis O'Brien, second. Shot put - Won by Dennis O'Brien; Charles Cook, second. Fat men's race - Won by Charles Cook; M. Ryan, second. Three-legged race - Won by Degnan and Congdon; Wood and Cook, second; Trammell and Kirkconnel, third.

[[caption]] Crowd surrounding Ovington Just After He Was Greeted by Governor Pothier, Mayor Fletcher and the Reception Committee.

THE PROVIDENCE JOURNAL believes its advertisers have the right to know without inquiry all about its circulation.
The average daily circulation for July was
24,307 the larges of any month in July.
In quality as well as quantity of circulation the Journal has long been conspicuous among daily newspapers, having the unique distinction of being the only morning newspaper it its field. Many have started; it alone has survived and maintained its position.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact