Viewing page 24 of 33


which Carl E. Myers bought in 1889 and converted into The Balloon Farm
Photograph in collection of Mrs. Elizabeth A. Wing 
From negative in The Smithsonian Institution

a record of its good performances, or its bad habits. Many of the balloons were named. Carlotta's favorites were the "Flying Cloud," the "Aerial," the "Carlotta," and the "Zephyr," in all of which she had made many flights. 
Also in one room on the third floor Carl had his printing press on which he printed his advertisement sheets and broadsides. He even published the only aeronautic paper of its time, the Balloon Bulletin, for which he not only wrote the articles but even set the type.
Other rooms were converted into workshops. There was a carpenter shop, a machine shop, a chemical laboratory, and a "loft" for laying out and cutting fabric. On the second floor were the living quarters, bedrooms, and guest rooms. 

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact