Viewing page 62 of 313


JULY, 1930

1881 Continued

Select Masters, the Boston Commanding Knight Templars, the Boston Athletic Association, the Boston University Club, the Massachusetts Society of Sons of the Revolution, the Massachusetts Society War of 1812, and the Old Colony Club. He was Vice-President of the Barnstable Agricultural Society, Chairman and Treasurer of the Advisory Council on Athletics at Technology, and President of the New England Association of the Amateur Athletic Union of the United States.

He was unmarried. He always was thoroughly infused with the advantages of amateur athletics and was always ready to give his money and assistance as judge, track officer, and all other ways to encourage healthy sport. In his younger days he was quite a sprinter. [See Institute Gazette or Alumni Council Resolutions on his death.]--FRANK E. CAME, Secretary, 3081 Ontario Street, East, Montreal, Canada

Very little Class news has reached the Secretary of late, the only items he has to record being the visit of Wilcox for a few weeks to Tiverton, R.I., and Boston, where he called on some of the Class, and the passing of another of the Class, George W. Patterson, at Ann Arbor, Mich., on May 22. The following was in the Boston Evening Transcript: "George Washington Patterson, 3d, Associate Dean of the University of Michigan College of Engineering, died at University Hospital today after two months illness. He was sixty-six years old. Dean Patterson, who was descended from a famous New York family, was born at Corning, N.Y., February 1, 1864. He was educated at Yale, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Harvard, and University of Munich. He had been on the Michigan teaching staff since 1889. He was President of the First National Bank of Ann Arbor until a year ago, and was director of several railroads."--EDWARD G. THOMAS, Secretary, Toledo Scale Company, Toledo, Ohio. NATHANIEL T. VERY, Assistant Secretary, 96 Bridge Street, Salem, Mass. 

The forty-first annual dinner was held at the Club of Odd Volumes on the evening of March 12 at 6:30. The following were present: Bridge, Cutter, E. V. French, Gleason, Hobbs, Hunt, Kilham, Kunhardt, Laws, Lewis, Mauran, Orrok, Wm. L. Smith, Thurber, Underhill, and Williston. It was voted to participate in the forthcoming All-Technology Reunion with a dinner on the evening of June 6 as requested by the Alumni Committee. 

Pike has been retained by the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company (which corresponds to the Boston Elevated system) as one of their consulting engineers. Recently the Ambassador Bridge, the great suspension bridge between the United States and Canada, which crosses the Detroit River at Detroit, was opened to the public. Pike was the consulting electrical engineer for this bridge which at the present time is the longest suspension bridge in the world. --WALTER H. KILHAM, Secretary, 9 Park Street, Boston, Mass.

Charlie Aiken left the last of May for an extended business trip to Australia. He is going to stop off at San Francisco and Hawaii, and all his friends wish him a pleasant and successful trip. His address in Australia will be Hodgson and Company, Sidney, N.S.S., Australia. His daughter, Dorothy Johnson, is running their summer place at Franklin, N.H., where they have the old family mansion and several cottages where she runs a tea room. This is on the shores of Webster Lake.

The following letter is just received from Charlie en route from Los Angeles to San Francisco: "I have had a great trip so far. Sunday I stopped at the Grand Canyon and went down to the rim. It is 5,000 feet down and seven miles by trail, but of course you know all about it. I would not have missed it for anything in spite of the anxiety when the mule hangs himself way over the brink of the curves. One will get used to anything, I suppose, for after the 999th turn I found myself speculating as to how much of a mess the mule and I would make when we struck. I put the mule first and figured that he would strike bottom first. My mule, by the way, was grey to match my suit and my hair and my stockings. This was arranged for by me and I got the only gray mule, whose name was Pepper and his given name was Cayenne. Although not a profane mule, he was, I am sorry to say, productive of profanity. Still, on the whole, I would say that he was a good mule as mules go, and by the time he had taken me fourteen miles and through 10,000 feet up and down I almost loved him. The next time you make the trip be sure to arrange for Pepper with plenty of Cayenne.

"In Pasadena I called on George Hooper and found him with a son graduating from Yale in June, a grown-up daughter to be married in July, and the baby of the family a young lady of seventeen just graduating high school. Mrs. Hooper, I did not see until the next day when I had dinner with them. I thought that I had had all the thrills it was possible to get with roast chicken, but the chicken they had was, bar none, the best ever. George carefully peeled the chicken when he served it, so when he came to me I spoke for the bark, and it tasted good as it looked. Mrs. Hooper is a charming lady and a perfect hostess, for, in spite of the fact that she was tired because of packing to move, she was as cordial as ever when I stayed beyond all reasonable time for going. You remember the wonderful complexion that George used to have. Well, I'll be hanged if he hasn't got it still and doesn't look a day older than he did in 1911, and the girls are peaches and cream. It was certainly an interesting household. They are all going east in June for the son's graduation at Yale, so you may possibly see him.

"Yesterday George took me out to the sewage disposal plant which was most interesting. The place looked like a park and smelled like a rose garden. They removed the solid from the sewage, dry it, and sell it for fertilizer, and the effluvium, amounting to eighty-seven million gallons per day, is clear and sterile and is used for irrigating. George is again city engineer, taking the place of the engineer, who is now boarding at the state's expense. I am sailing from San Francisco on Saturday."

The Secretary hears frequently from Barney Capen, who is still at the Early Convalescent Home, Cohasset, Mass., and he will probably be there for some little time to come. He is making good progress and seems very happy in his most pleasant surroundings. A number of his classmates have been to see him and he has had several automobile rides. Those who saw him at out dinner last winter can appreciate the improvement when he says, "I got out of the car entirely by myself and without any help."

In a recent letter Barney speaks of hearing from Warner Steel, who is in Bermuda. Morris Knowles went on a trip to Honolulu. Cards are arriving from Arthur Howland, who is on a trip around the world and is expected back about the first of June. Carleton and Mrs. Read came from Worcester and made him a call. Also calls from Mrs. Will Palmer and Mrs. Campbell Moore. Harrison and Mrs. Cole were out and took him to ride. Also calls from Gorham Dana and Charlie Aiken. Barney writes that he attended the reunion of the English High School, class of '86 at the Boston Athletic Association and he also attended the Telephone Pioneers Banquet and Ball, Dr. Lynch of the Telephone Company coming out in his car and taking him back and forth to the latter.
Forham Dana, George Spooner, and the Secretary were sent to Washington for two or three days to witness some fire test by the Bureau of Standards. A test hangar was built and filled with old government airplanes which were set on fire, and the tests were to show the value of automatic sprinkler systems in such properties. Even the most severe fires were controlled by the sprinklers. We were also together at the annual meeting of the National Fire Protection Association held in Atlantic City in May. Burton Blair was also there, making four representatives of our Class at this convention. 
Hartley White wrote to Channing Brown, expressing his pleasure at attending the Class Dinner: "It was a real joy to sit with you at our Class Dinner and talk over old times. It hardly seems possible that over forty years have elapsed since we used to travel on the train to Technology. I certainly shall try to attend the dinner in the future. What a story each one could tell. I wish the program committee would give each one three to five minutes to tell what he is doing so that we would know more about each other."
A clipping from the New York World reads as follows: "William H. Bassett, technical superintendent of the American
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact