Viewing page 177 of 313

Alice Newhall, Minnie Lawley, Herbert Stearns, Percy Ziegler and the secretary. We were seated together at the luncheon and so celebrated our 61st reunion. 
Although it is four months since our last issue of Class Notes, we have two deaths to record. John L. Dakin died on May 7, 1961. He was born in Roxbury and attended the Boston English High School with several of our classmates. At English High he was captain of the baseball team and was all-scholastic tackle on the football team. He was graduated in 1895. He was with us at M.I.T. for only a short time and then attended Pratt Institute from which he was graduated in 1900. He went to Haverhill High and continued that capacity until 1908  during which time his football team won 48 games, tied 6 and lost only 11. He taught in the Haverhill public schools for 41 years and retired in 1945. Besides his wife, Ruth (Merrill) Dakin, John leaves a daughter, Mrs. Janet Roswell of Wilmington, Del., and three grandchildren. . . . Franklin N. Conant died August 8, 1961, aged 88 years. He was born in Orford, N. H., and was with our class all four years; he was graduated in 1900 in electrical engineering. He was with Chase-Shawmut Company, Stone and Webster, and later was an independent consulting engineer. . . . Although he wasn't affiliated with the Class of 1901, we wish to mention here the death of the Reverend George A. Hall who entered M.I.T. with us. He was with us all four years but took the five-yera course and was graduated in 1901.-Elbert G. Allen, Secretary, 11 Richfield Road, West Newton 65, Mass.

Early in May Dan Patch gave a lecture in the Boston Public Library to a group of old people, the Never Too Late Group. It was an illustrated talk about Friendship, Maine, the summer home town of Dan, and was entitled "Maine Through the Seasons." He received a very appreciative letter of thanks from the leader of the group. Later in the month on Military Day at the Institute, he had the pleasure of presenting the Sons of the American Revolution awards to the outstanding member of each of the three branches of the R.O.T.C. As Dan is a veteran of the Spanish war, as well as a member of the S.A.R., it was very fitting that he should make the presentations. . . . Professor Charles H. Porter is still active, spending his summers at Tamworth, N.H., and his winters in Tryon, N.C. . . . A letter from Carlton B. Allen reports that he is in the best of health and that he and Mrs. Allen expect to vacation in the Virgin Islands this fall. His two grandchildren graduated from college last June, one from Bucknell and the other from Skidmore. 
As it seems fit that we should rejoice in the achievements of our sons, we record that the sons of Ernest MacNaughton are playing a prominent part in the business life of Hawaii. As reported in "Newsweek," the firm Castle and Cooke, known as one of the Big Five which formerly dominated the Hawaiian economy, has been girding its loins to meet the competition of new mainland money. Last May the company took over complete control of Oregon's Columbia River Packers Association (Bumble Bee Sea Foods) and the Dole Corporation, the Number 1 firm in the pineapple business: the combined sales of the two were $120,000,000 last year. Credit for engineering this colossal merger is given to Malcolm MacNaughton, president of Castle and Cooke for the last two years. Malcolm MacNaughton, is the son of our classmate, Ernest MacNaughton. He received his education at Reed College, Portland, Ore., and at the Stanford University Business School. He went to the islands in 1945 when Castle and Cooke transferred him from their San Francisco office as an assistant secretary. His brother Boyd is also in Hawaii as president of Brewer and Company, another of the Big Five.
Roger Greeley's son, Dana MacLean Greeley, was elected in May to serve as the head of a merger of a different type; he became the president of the newly formed Unitarian-Universalist Association. His brother, Roland B. Greeley, professor of regional planning on the M.I.T. faculty and for the last two years chairman of the Faculty Advisers Council, has been named to succeed Professor Thresher as Director of Admissions at the Institute. . . . Alumni Day exercises drew a very small attendance from our class. Arthur and Mrs. Collier, Dan Patch and your secretary were all that registered.-Burton G. Philbrick, Secretary, 18 Ocean Avenue, Salem, Mass.

The Summer Period that provided our yet energetic and enthusiastic classmates with abundant relaxation has now closed. Once more your Secretary must co-ordinate the happenings of the interval and correlate such to interest our Course members and awaken old friendships. It is also quite opportune at this time from our members with news of interest to enliven our column. . . . John J. Dooley, VI, who with his energetic wife attended our recent Commencement, now reports on their Golden Wedding Celebration in June. They had just returned from spending the winter with their daughter, who lives in Kailua, Hawaii, and a month's visit with their son living in Oakland, Calif. Another daughter lives in Ramsey, N.J. The Dooleys are now progenitors of seven vigorous grandchildren.
Our brief notice of the death of Herman J. Cass, II, in the July Review can now be expanded from an article in the Andover newspaper. He was born in Manchester, N.H., in 1880, but in his youth changed to North Andover where he was educated and spent his professional career for over 75 years. Only in recent months he changed his residence to Andover, Mass., after a brief retirement as a sales representative of Keystone Lubrication Co., of Philadelphia, Pa. He died after a brief illness at the Shady Knoll Nursing Home, North Andover, on April 11, 1961. He was a member of the Trinity Congregational Church; Grecian Lodge A.F. and A.M.; Mt. Sinai Chapter Lawrence Council; Bethany Commandry 17; Knights Templars and Aleppo Temple, Boston. He leaves his wife, Margaret J. (Gallagher) Cass; a son. Herman Jr., of Baltimore, Md.; two daughters, Mrs. Verna B. Watt of Andover, and Dorothy B., wife of Frank P. Desmond of South Easton; eight grandchildren, also five great-grandchildren.
Dr. Durward Copeland, III, 81, died at Monserrat, Bolivia, where he had lived for some years, according to word from his relatives in Framingham, Mass. After graduation from M.I.T., he taught as Professor of Metallurgy at Michigan University School of Mining. Later he was instructor for six years at the Mining School in Missouri. He next went to Santiago, Chile, in connection with silver and tin mines. He returned to become Director of Missouri Mining School but the urge to return to South America led him to Bolivia and Chile again and he culminated his life's work June 6, 1961. He is survived by his wife; brother-in-law, a former Framingham selectman; sister-in-law, Mrs. Robert M. Copeland, and several nieces and nephews. Funeral service and burial took place in Bolivia. 
A recent letter from our much esteemed classmate Professor Emeritus Andrew A. Potter, VI, is the most noteworthy. His "guider"-the Sermon on the Mount-"Whoever shall compel thee to go one mile-go with him twain," accompanied him after retirement from Purdue University to be President of Bituminous Coal Research for the second mile. Now he is on his third mile, in good health and enjoying consulting contacts with industry and government. He is visiting professor at several universities. His present mileage affords him more time for voluntary services to our government and to engineering education; more leisure time for reading and reflecting and, best of all, opportunity to spend much of his time with his life's companion to whom he has been married happily over 55 years. The university has presented him an office on the campus for all his files, books and reports, with its door open wide for all his former students and uppermost for our M.I.T. '03 classmates.
Miss Myra Louise Davies (Special, '03), one of the courageous co-eds of early M.I.T. membership, passed away suddenly February 14, 1961 and was buried at Bellevue Cemetery, Newburyport, Mass. Miss Davis had a unique scientific career. The Laselle Leaves of November, 1958, had an attractive picture of her before a hundred-year-old spinning wheel, which she was demonstrating at the Minute Man Crafts Fair in Horticultural Hall, Boston, in November, 1948. She became intrigued with the now lost art of weaving many years ago. A few hundred Merino sheep were brought to the U.S. by Colonel David Humphreys, a member of General Washington's Staff in the Diplomatic Service to Spain, for his farm in Danbury, Conn. He was Myra's ancestor, who started a lucrative wool business and


Transcription Notes:
Page number and section footer typed at the bottom. Not sure if a better way to note this information.

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact