Viewing page 197 of 313

bottle of wine. Not being privy to British customs, your secretary wonders why Mr. Butterwick, too, is not honorable? Is it that auctioneers are dishonorable?
Undoubtedly because of the big affair in April, our class attendance at Alumni Day was a bit slim. The Blay Atherton's, Wil Gilmans, Bill MacCallums with daughter Sandy, Herb Stewarts, and your secretary and wife, along with Ave Ashdown, Nate Schooler, Joe Mares, and Dick Walker made up the contingent. . . . The William Dennison Rowes were still around, but they were going to school at that time at B.U. in preparation for Bill's new assignment in Africa. They had expected to go to Tunisia for ICA, but changing situations changed their destination. They were headed for Nigeria instead. . . . A welcome letter from Chris Conway brought the news that he is now a Greenwich Villager. Chris is with A.T.&T., traveling all over the country on mechanization of long-distance lines. Mrs. Conway died a year ago after a long illness. There is a daughter at the University of Miami and a son and family in Philadelphia. Part of the family is grandson Christopher, 4th. That "4" indicates line of descent, not age. He was born last June.
Guess The New York Times must read these columns, because in June they carried a story headed "two students at M.I.T. Become Churchmen." All about the Reverend Denton Massey and Bishop James Wong. One thing, though, did not come out of out story, and personally we doubt if it ever happened. The Times piece starts: "More than 30 years ago two young engineering students at M.I.T. worked together on a project." That sounds like a flight of reportorial imagination. . . . From somewhere a clipping from a Mexican paper arrived on your secretary's desk headed "Arribaron Ayer A Esta" and with a smiling portrait of "el general James C. Doolittle, heroe de la Segunda Guerra Mundial" at the head of the column. Having no interpreter ready at hand, about all we can tell you of the story is that Jimmie arrived "en el Jet Champagne Flight de Western Airlines." We could make out one thing, however, and in case you are ever called on to fill out the initials M.I.T. in Spanish, it's "Instituto Technologico de Massachusetts." . . . Late in May San Franciscans held a World Trade Week, complete with greetings from the mayor, and International Ball, and a "Miss World Trade, 1961." Royce Greatwood, president of California Greatwood. Inc., was deputy chairman.
Sorry to have to report a number of deaths: George G. Salsman died in June. He had been with the Massachusetts Department of Public Works for 34 years as a surveyor and engineer. He was a Mason and a member of St. Peter's  Episcopal Church of Buzzard's Bay, where he lived. George leaves his mother and two brothers. . . . Many of you will remember Walter A. Dunham, a Course VI graduate. Walter was considerably older than most of us, having made up his mind late to go to college. For 20 years the Dunhams had lived in California, where recently he was an engineer with the Harvey Aluminium Company. A letter from Mrs. Dunham to Hank Simonds has a paragraph that must certainly sum up the feelings of all husbands or wives who suddenly find themselves alone in the world. "It is lonely. I think I can manage in big things but in small things I miss him very much. I find one needs someone for watching television, and doing crossword puzzles, and looking up new words in the dictionary, and reading amusing bits from books." . . . Three other deaths that must be recorded are those of Dr. Henry M. Tracy, a physician in Wallingford, Pa.; Lieutenant Commander James W. Costello, U.S. Navy retired, and Reuben J. Miller of Waterloo, Iowa. We have no further details.
Flipping over the calendar pages, I see it would be opportune about now to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, and that I do. We'll skip mention of Armistice (or Veteran's) Day.-- Henry B. Kane, Secretary, Room 1-272, M.I.T., Cambridge 39, Mass.

On entering a new year, it is necessary to complete the reporting of the past year with reference to class attendance at Alumni Day activities. A number of the old standbys did not show up in 1961, but this was probably due in part to the fact that so many had been present for the Centennial Celebration a few weeks earlier. In attendance at one or all of the activities of the day were Dr. and Mrs. F. Leroy Foster, Mr. and Mrs. David Goldman, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Hodson, Masaru Kametani, Edwin E. Kussmaul, Mr. and Mrs. Mac Levine, and Mr. and Mrs. Henry C. Trask.
Those of you who were not fortunate to attend this year missed the rare opportunity of spending some time with Masaru Kametani. "Kammy" was in this country on business representing Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries Company, Ltd., of Tokyo, of which he is assistant to the general manager, Aircraft Engine Division. He was able to plan his visit, which was taking him to many places in the United States, so that he could be here for Alumni Day; and everyone in attendance found him to be a most delightful person. Those of you who remember him as a student know this well; those who met him for the first time now realize what they had missed during student days by not having been acquainted with him.
Recent letters from "Fran" Cunniff indicate that he is now located at 2531 S. W. Hillcrest Drive, Portland 1, Ore. "Fran" is rear admiral, U.S.N., retired, presently serving in the capacity of resident engineer for Frederic R. Harris, Inc., Consulting Engineers, New York City, on the construction of a 27,000-ton capacity steel floating drydock being built for The Port of Portland Commission of the state of Oregon. "Fran" finds this job presents quite a challenge. . . . A clipping from the Herald News, Passaic, N.J., notes that Wilder E. Perkins recently completed 35 years service with the Manhattan Rubber Division, Raybestos-Manhattan, Inc. He was honored by plant officials and associates and received a 35-year Manhattan Pioneer pin with two diamonds. His present position with the company is that of factory manager. . . . Two classmates called on your secretary during the latter part of July; but unfortunately being on vacation, I missed seeing Fred Cunningham and Bob Read.
I am sorry to have to report two deaths during the summer. Arthur F. Morash passed away in Belmont, Mass., on July 12, 1960. . . . Kenneth W. Robie, one of our more active classmates in connection with reunions, died suddenly at New London, N.H. on August 18, 1961, while on a short vacation. Ken, of course, was superintendent of the Highway and Water Department of the Town of Brookline, Mass. The esteem in which he was held by the town officials in Brookline was very well expressed by the executive secretary of the Board of Selectmen. This statement follows: "In the untimely death of Kenneth W. Robie, the Town has lost a most valued and trusted public official. Mr. Robie was graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1925 and entered the service of the Town as a Civil Engineer in 1935. His capabilities having been ably demonstrated, it was logical that he would be advanced to Assistant Superintendent of the Water Department in 1942, later succeeding to the position of Water Superintendent in 1952 upon the retirement of Mr. Bushway. He assumed in 1959 the additional duties of Superintendent of Streets, a position he has filled with honor and distinction. He gave so much to his work and wove the threads of his personality so deeply in our affection that it is almost impossible to express the sense of loss which we all feel in his passing. Possessed of a keen analytical mind, a wholesome sense of humor and a rich background of experience, he was always an outstanding figure among town officials. He was firm when the interests of the Town were at stake yet compromising in his attitude when justice and the circumstances required. The exact and thorough public servant, he discharged the duties of his office in a manner so admirable as to reflect great credit upon himself and his municipality. His record shall stand as an inspiration to those who are chosen to follow in his path." Those of us who knew Ken certainly know that he was deserving of all of the fine things said about him. -F. L. Foster, Secretary, Room 5-105, M.I.T., Cambridge, Mass.

Writing the notes on a plane seems to have become a habit. Having just taken off from O'Hare Field in Chicago in a 707 destined for Boston, the announced flying  time is one hour and 40 minutes, and breakfast is to be served. There will be no time to waste. Bob Van Patten-Steiger, '36, is snoozing in the seat next to me and before dozing off expressed dismay that I should be working when there was such an excellent opportunity for relaxation. I have a sound reason for writing

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact