Viewing page 12 of 16

[Left] (Continued on)

Bowlus, who taught Colonel and Mrs. Charles A. Linbergh the art of gliding, while they were in California. Captain Holderman is a World War pilot and his attractive wife declares she will not be satisfied until she is qualified to handle every type of plane he operates.

     Mrs. Hattie Myers Barnaby, wife of Lieut. Commander R. S. Barnaby, U.S.N., Washington, D.C., who also won her license at last year's meet is here with the announced determination to secure a few records. She is the widow of two aviators, one of whom designed the famous Wacco airplane and founded the original Wacco Company, and is also the devoted mother of two children, a son and daughter, both of whom already indicate that aviation will dominate their future activities. Her grandfather, now deceased, was for many years a member of the editorial staff of the New York (word crossed out) SUN
     Mrs. Barnaby discovered her initial interest in aviation when her first husband, George (Buck) Weaver, was simply her devoted admirer while studying to become a pilot. He was experimenting with toy gliders in those days and enlisted the aid of his sweetheart to make cloth wings for his little ships, she sacrificing several silk petticoats to aviation and thereby brought down upon her head the wrath of a mother who felt that flying defied the laws of nature. Becoming Weaver's bride she accompanied him on barnstorming expeditions and contributing materially to his success in designing and testing the first Wacco, during one of which tests she was injured in a crash, her young husband losing his life during a flu epidemic. With an infant to support the young woman, following Weaver's death, studied to enter business and become a secretary, but her love for aviation was unchanged by the shadow that had entered her life, and she continued her close contacts with aviators and aviation companies. 

     Her constant companion and advisor had been Elwood Junkin, Weaver's devoted associate and flying partner, and more than a year after becoming a widow she and Junkin were quietly wed. But life still held serious problems in store, for within five months Junkin suffered a heart attack from which he failed to recover, passed away some months later in 192(number crossed out and handwritten 6) at the age of 29 years, leaving his wife with a second infant to provide for on extremely limited resources. 
     Resuming her work as a private secretary she spent her days in an office, her evenings doing her housework and caring for her little children, and her nights, some times until early morning, studying aviation that she might become a pilot. It was while this engaged she met Lieutenant Barnaby, who had just achieved fame by being the first man to drop from a navy dirigible in a glider, the feat being the predecessor of the present art of attaching and releasing airplanes from dirigibles, and this she became interested in her third husband and gliding at the same time.
     Still very young and girlish in appearance, she finds gliding the means to achieve her ambition to pilot powered planes and has flown in each of the contests held here, as well as making gliding a study while in her home in Washington. In discussing her remarkable life and her hope for achievements in aviation Mrs. Barnaby says:
     "Life has been hard and yet not without glorious moments. When 'Buck' Waever and I were endeavoring to make a name in (cutoff) 

[Center Left] (Partial picture of man)
PRESIDENT - Warren E. Eaton of Norwich, World War flier and president of the Soaring Society of America, will supervise the meet.

barnstorming often being resorted to in an endeavord to buy groceries and pay the rent. Yet in our poverty we were amazingly happy until removed the boyish aviator-sweetheart-husband from my life. Jenkins won my love because he endeavored, without ostentation, to carry on for his friend - my husband - and provide for me and my baby the things I could not secure by my own efforts at that time.

     "When we were married it simply seemed I was doing as 'Buck' would have me do, as he always declared Junkin was the one individual he trusted fully and absolutely and the one he desired to guard and protect me in the event of his, Weaver's death. And thus it came to pass. I devoted myself to Junkin when he was stricken fatally and felt the sun had ceased to shine when he passed on. But for the babies I might nit have been able to summon sufficient strength to fight the bitter battles, financial and otherwise, this I soon encountered.
     "Now, with life again comparatively tranquil, I meet such problems as arise by entering a glider aviation we were painfully poor, 

[Center] 6 R.O.T.C. Students Hurt As 30 Horse Stampede
[Center Left] SACKET HARBOR, July 9. - A stampede of horse which frightened pedestrians, sent them scurrying to doorsteps and behind trees, an injured six young collegiate-military students, marred routine at the Reserve Officers Training Corps camp at Madison barracks her.
     Thirty mounted horses of Battery B, restless and temperamental from several days of inactivity, suddenly stampeded as the students prepared for morning drills at the post. The horses, scorning efforts of inexperienced riders to check them, raced across the post parade grounds and dashed down the broad concrete highway to the main street intersection of the village.
    As they thundered through the (cutoff) 

[Center Right]
myself to meet that which the future may hold of an adverse nature. Nervousness, weariness, today's small problems slip away from me when I'm in the air, even as the atmosphere slips over the glider's wings and enters the past. Some day, for the sake of those who gave their all to aviation, I hope I will be able to pilot a powered plane, and I also hope that 'Buck' Weaver's son, and Edwood Junkin's daughter, my children, may some day soar into the clouds in which their fathers loved to revel."


MALONE, July 9. - Pleading guilty to a charge of assault, third degree. Floyd Perry, Malone, was sentenced to four months in the Onondage County penitentiary by Police Justice Frank Bigelow.
     Perry was arrested by state police on complaint of Phillip Tavernier. Burke, who asserted he had been at a dance in Whippleville, where he became involved with Perry in an argument over a firl. The accused man had threatened to beat him yp. Tavernier said, and had attempted to attack him on the Duane road when state police arrived and brought Tavernier and Fred O'Connor, who was with him, to Malone.
     Tavernier said he was walking to his home in Burke and had reached a point in Elm st. when an automobile overtook him and Perry alighted. He said he ran to the steps of a nearby convent and Perry struck him, throwing him into a window which was broken by the impact. He then ran across the street to the residence of District Attorney H. W. Main. Perry followed him, he said, and struck him again before the appearance of the district attorney, but fled when Mr. Main appeared.


CONNEAUT, O., July 9. - Old Sol is up to his old tricks early this year. His golden rays shining through a place glass window in a grocery store ignited matches and set the store on fire.
[Center] 6 R.O.T.C. Students Hurt As 30 Horse Stampede (continued)

street, children and grownups alike scurried to safety and none of them was injured.
     Suddenly when they reached the stoplight at the intersection, the lead horses stopped. They slipped and fell to the ground. The horses following piled up on them and riders were tossed to the ground.
     The members of the R.O.T.C. injured suffered mostly bruises, while the the other 24 were uninjured.
     None of the riders was thrown during the wild ride across the parade ground and through the main street. It was at the intersection that some of them were unseated.
     After the pile-up, the riders got control of their mounts and returned to the parade ground. 

home where the family of John Schneider was to have a happy reunion became the sad scene of their funeral when a train demolished the car in which they were riding over a Melbourne, Ont., railroad crossing, enroute from Detroit, Mich., to this city.
     Triple funeral services for John Schneider Sr., 40, his wife, Mrs. Susie W. Schnieder, 38, and their son John Jr., 17, were held this week at the home of Mrs. Katherine Schneider of 417 Davis st a sister of Mrs. Schneider. it was to this home that the Schneiders were motoring when they met death.
     Mrs. Schneider and her son were instantly killed in the crash and Mr. Schneider died later in a London, Ont., hospital. the bodies of the three victims were brought to this city by Martin Schneider, 711 Hancock st., Watertown, a brother of the Detroit man.
     The Schneider family formerly resided in Watertown, leaving here about 11 years ago. Mr. Schneider was then employed as a coremaker for the New York Air Brake Company here. The son, John, was born in Watertown.
     Besides his brother, Maartin, Mr. Schneider is survived by a mother, sister and brother in Europe. Mrs. Schneider is survived by a mother and three sisters in Europe and two sisters in this country. besides her sister in Watertown, there is one, Mrs. Martin Horeth, of Detroit Mich.
     The three bodies were laid to rest in North Watertown cemetery here.

BORGER, Tex., July 9 - A marionette show witnessed in Oklahoma City about seven years ago gave Marion Parris, 17, a hobby that now has developed into a profession.
     He was very much interested in the first puppet show he saw, and several months later staged a show for his schoolmates. Then his puppets performed before clubs and at parties. 
     Parris has received offers to go on the stage, but he has turned them down as he plans to enter the Chicago Art Institute after completing his high school course.

JOHANNESBURG, July 9 - The Zulu belle has deserted her colorful beads for fancy garters. As a result of this latest decree importers of beads have been hit severely.
     One Durban importer has been left with 20 cases of German and Italian fancy beads on his hands.
     Realizing that fickle fashion had robbed him of his market he refused to pay the customs duty of 10 cents per pound so the beads were put up for auction.But there were no bids and the beads were dumped into the sea. The garter market, however, is booming.

NAPLES, July 9. - Efforts to make it easier for tourists to visit places of interest are being made by municipal authorities of Naples. Special blocks of tickets that will make it possible to see the show places of the city are being issued. 
     Also tickets that can be used interchageably on all of the city's transportation lines will soon be on sale. The plan has had the approval of the "Duce" and it is expected that other Italian cities will adopt it also, (cutoff)
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact