Viewing page 6 of 125

U.S AIR SERVICES   November, 1931
Fokker planes, inside and out, to take up his duties here together with three Fokker F-7s which were in daily operation between Washington and Philadelphia (fare $25 the one way) until the spring of 1928 when some smart fellow figured no profit. So P. R. T. wrote off the loss as their contribution to the Philadelphia Sesquicentennial and broke camp. 
Naturally we cannot forget when Johnson was turned over on his back, after landing in strong wind. Of course this happens to the best of us.

Surely with a nice hangar and an administration building vacated, somebody must come to our rescue, and here they come - F. F. F. (Four Fine Fellows), all trained and skilled practitioners, operating under the name Potomac Flying Service, incorporated under the laws of whatever state they happened to be in, with letter heads, envelopes, an official insignia, desks, safes, typewriters, secretaries, and none other than Henry Berliner, the president: Lowell S. Harding (now line superintendent of Eastern Air Transport) vice-president, general manager and pilot; Andrew H. Nash, secretary and John D. Smoot, treasurer, who leased the operating privileges from P. R. T. to conduct a flying service. 

The Berliner interests had constructed a big single-motored cabin job, known to everyone around here as Big Bertha, and with several Waco 9s began operations. Later several FC-2 Fairchilds were purchased, and a few flying boats which were operated off Arlington Beach, together with Berliner monoplanes. With this equipment this aggregation really did big things in aviation. Their pilots included Lowell Harding, Herby Fahy, Stewart Reiss, Tommy Durfee (who always contended that any pilot who flew without leather boots should suffer the embarrassment of having the bottom button of his vest cut off); Ross Hoyt, Keeling, Kreider, Walter Lees, Doug Powell, and Hall McKenny.
These boys really furnished plenty of news. Harding and Durfee had their experiences with flying boats. Stew Reiss had a habit of losing wheels or landing on ponies. Ross Hoyt clipped a wing on a tree. Keeling and Goodrich bumped off on a stunting expedition. Fahy picks a concrete mixer for a paved runway. Doug Powell takes his mother in for a buggy ride, lands, and rolls into a ditch. McKenny steps into the cockpit of a Waco, works himself down into the seat- and can't get out. Plenty of passengers. Already this organization had boasted of carrying over +5,000 passengers and many students. One in particular deserves honorable mention- a young blonde boy about 17 or 18 years of age, who had the mind of a Russian philosopher and the particular characteristic of a Scotchman; none other than Roger (Scotty) Scott, outboard racing authority, speed boat enthusiast, admirer of red-headed females, and today our airport's passenger-hopping pilot.

Before going too far, let me call to your attention a controversy between the management of Hoover Field and Herb Fahy about this and that and so and so, which would up with Fahy going across the road and developing the Capitol Airport, using Ryan's Sister Ship to the Spirit of St. Louis. There was now, dear readers, keen competition between the Hoover Field boys and Fahy with his Capitol Airport set-up, which continued competitive until September 13, 1930, when both airports were merged under the present management. 
  March 27, 1928 is an important date. First Fahy carried more passengers in one day, with one ship, a Ryan, than any other pilot in the world. From early morn until late at night, taking his sandwiches on the fly. Second Ernie Plye Washington's big aviation correspondent and writer, began his first column Aviation, which is today read by every airminded person in Washington. 
  July 3, 1928, finds both organizations marking time for the big day, July 4th when they anticipated a big rush. July 4th found only Capitol Airport open for business, and the boys at Hoover Field looking at the smouldering remains of a hangar, seven ships, gas and oil drums, tools and machinery. Their hangar was burned to the ground during the night or early morning and to this day the same questions are asked: "How do it start?" and "Who do you think did it?"
  This shock was sufficient to break any strong-hearted aviator, and the Potomac Flying Service, Inc., closed its doors with an excellent record and good will which was worth money to some progressive flying service. About August 1st, Roberston of Hybla Valley, who had several Eaglerocks, was told about a pot of gold on Hoover Field. Immediately he moved his equipment and started business, but by September 1st he had lost the directions to the gold pot and so we find a new prospector on the scene, this time a man who spent much of his time back of a mahogany desk, with red plush carpet under his feet, one who always was a believer in the survival of the fittest, who contended that St. Elizabeth's was built for Volstead and who had a mania for speedboats and everything fast--including horses.
 Space was not permit me to mention everything and probably it's a good thing. But things did begin to move and during this month of September a new face is seen, belonging to one John S. Wynne, the new general manager of the new Potomac Flying Service, under whose supervision anew hangar was erected and the following ships purchased: two new Eaglerocks from Colorado Springs; a new red Fairchild with Wasp engine from Farming dale, L. I.; one carload of Travel dirs. 
 Another hangar was built and Hoover Field again steal the picture. This action on the part of Hoover Field freshens the grass across the road, and we see a new office building being erected a few more Ryan's added, and a new name, Washington Airport, terminal for the New York- Washington Air Line. Hurrah! an air line! (These boys admit today that if they had had hourly service a different story would be to relate.) Clarence Chamberlin comes with a Loening with plans for a New York-Washington run. Jim Ray lands in a Pitcairn Fleetwing with OX-5 engine. 
  Lawrence Pabst, Joe Boudwin and Howard French became busy at Washington Airport carrying passengers and training students. October 15,1928 the Graf Zeppelin arrived and every ship was in the air. Potomac Flying service is absorbed by International Airways, Inc. Election Day, Hoover vs. Al Smith. Hoover Field loses its nice new Fairchild. Polit Roy S. O'Neal hid it, and all I remember is- that somebody got his head hurt.

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact