Viewing page 36 of 66

To Kansas City And Back--And No Forced Landings

Captain Chamberlin Describes His Record Trip
By Capt. M. T. Chamberlin

  On the morning of December 5th at 8:15 o'clock two Curtiss J N 4 D airplanes left Rich Field for Kansas City, Mo., to take part in the War Exposition being held in that city.
  The ships were piloted by Captain M. T. Chamberlin, carrying Master Electrician D. S. Christie as passenger and Lieutenant E. E. Glenn carrying Lieutenant Max P. Ratholz. The day was ideal and brought with it a southwest wind of fair strength.
  We struck out on a compass course for Love Field, Dallas, arriving there at about 9:30. Our maximum altitude was approximately 2,000 feet.
  From Dallas we continued on a compass course to Denison, Texas, where we found the best equipped landing field it has ever been our pleasure to discover. It is not only a good, hard field but the Overland Garage keeps a gasoline wagon with a pump, funnel and chamois in readiness at all times for visiting ships. The field is near the Rod and Gun club, west of town and the man in charge of the club house also has charge of the gas supply.
  From Denison we jumped to Muskogee without a stop, arriving at 1 p.m. Here we were delayed three hours getting gas and oil as it was necessary to land about two miles outside of the city. Most ships land at the fair grounds here but the field is poor at best as it had been raining and was rough we decided to take no chances. It was here that the only repairs on the motor had lost a small rocker arm pin but M. E. Christie rose to the occasion and produced two new ones from his collection of spare parts, tools, etc.
  Our next stop was Parsons, Kansas, where we landed in a small wet field at 5:30 in the evening. It was getting so dark that it was impossible to spend much time hunting a good landing field though there are some very fine ones in the vicinity. The home guard was turned out to guard the machines and we were well taken care of by the residents of the city. A fine chicken dinner did not go begging at the home of Mr. Wayne Thurston, who kindly invited us to be his guests.

  Delay in Starting.

  The next morning we experienced difficulty in starting our cold motors so that we did not leave Parsons till about 10 o'clock. The party arrived at Olathy in about on ehour and a half where we took on what we thought to be gasoline but what later turned out to be largely water. In flying over Kansas City to Swope park, our destination, the water announced itself by causing the motors to make strange sounds indicative of being tired and ready for death, not a pleasant sound at 2,500 feet over the skyscrapers of K. C. and not a landing field in sight. About that time, however, Lieutenant Glenn discerned our landing field and we were all glad to feel hard ground under our wheels again.
  Our stay in Kansas City was a very enjoyable one. Our only difficulty was in keeping ourselves posted on the whereabouts of Lieutenant Glenn, an aviator in his own home town is explanation enough. The "social lion" surely did roar. Our stay in Kansas City was uneventful from a flying standpoint except that on December 7th we flew over the funeral of Lieutenant Jefferson Brumback, a Kansas City aviator who was killed in a crash at Wilbur Wright Field.

  The Return Trip.

  The return trip was started December 11th against a strong head wind which forced us to land at Erie, Kansas, for gas, from which town we made the twenty miles to Parsons in about 30 minutes.
  At Parsons we were royally received and were the guests at luncheon of the Chamber of Commerce. A landing field had been marked for us and gasoline was waiting, so we were soon on our way to Muskogee, Oklahoma, where we landed at about 4:30. We had no sooner prepared our ships for the night than it began to rain and continued to do so till Saturday morning, the Fourteenth.
  Never in the history of aviation have four stranded aviators received such hospitality as we received in Muskogee. Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Anicker, friends of Lieutenant Crump at this field took us to their wonderful home and "made us at home". We were most thoroughly spoiled for five days.
  Monday, the 16th, the field had dried sufficiently to allow us to proceed toward Waco again. After a stop at Kiowa, Oklahoma, for gas we made Denison, where we were the guests of the Rod and Gun club for luncheon. From there it was an easy trip to Love Field, Dallas.
  We left Dallas at 4:50 p.m. and landed at Rich Field in the dark at 6:40. The trip we believe to be a record-breaker in several respects; first we did not have a forced landing on the entire trip and secondly we made the distance from Waco to Kansas City in a total of six hours and fifty-two minutes total flying time. The first day away from this field we covered 456 miles in 292 minutes.
  After all is said and done we had worlds of luck, plenty of hard work, a mighty good time and are all very glad to be back again at old Rich Field, Waco, Texas.

  First Special Order

  Headquarters S. C. A. S. Rich Field, Waco, Texas, Nov. 21, 1917. Special Orders No. 1.
  1. Major George W. DeArnold S. C. is assigned to duty as Executive Officer S. C. A. S Rich Field.
  2. Major Clinton W. Russell, J. M. A., S. C., is assigned to duty as Officer in charge of flying, S. C. A. S., Rich Field.
  3. Captain J. Stanley Foster, A. S. S. C., U. S. R., is assigned to duty as Adjutant S. C. A. S., Rich Field.
  4. First Lieut. Frederick T. Ealand, A. S. S. C., U. S. R., is assigned to duty as Supply and Disbursing officer, S. C. A. S., Rich Field. In addition to these duties he will also act as Acting Quartermaster.
  By order of Major Krogstad.
  J. C. Foster,Captain A. S. S. C., U. S. R., Adjt.

  Little Write Ups

  Duncan S. Comrie

  To begin with, this heading should read, "Biography of Scottie," as few of his many friends know him by his real name. Scottie was born in Bridge-of-Allan, Scotland, in 1882, and was educated in schools of Glasgow and London.
  When Scottie attained the age of 16, the wanderlust seized him. He applied for a position with one of the prominent steamboat lines of England, and landed his first job. He sailed every sea, and visited every country in the world, with the exception of New Zealand. He rapidly was promoted from cabin boy to head steward and purser of one of the largest steamship companies. 
  After three years in India, Scottie sailed the coasts of the United States and South America in 1909. In 1911 he located in Detroit, Mich. At the beginning of the war he was selected for Army Y. M. C. A. work and sent to Texas. Scottie was one of the first men at Rich Field. He expects to remain in the Y. M. C. A. work in Texas. He probably will make his home at Dallas, where Mrs. Comrie is caring for her invalid mother.

  P. A. Ten Haaf

  At the beginning of the construction of Camp MacArthur, Mr. Ten Haaf left his home in Grand Rapids, Mich., and began his activities in the Army Y. M. C. A. After serving over a year as Building Secretary of Building 41, he was transferred to Rich Field. Mr. Ten Haaf was vocal instructor in civilian life, and left a large class of pupils in order to engage in Y. M. C. A. work. He will resume his class.

  J. A. Stephens

  "Steve," as he is popularly known among the boys, is the business secretary at the "Y." He is a native of Texas and calls Rosenberg his phone. He has one son, who has served in France, and who is expected home soon.

  Don Thompson

  Don Thompson, Experimental Engineer, started with the government at Hazelhurst Field at Mineola, Long Island, in May, 1916, and during his stay there had charge of all ignition in use on the various motors both aeronautical and ground use, also doing special trouble shooting. In August 1917, he was transferred to Selfridge Field at Mt. Clemens, Mich., where he had charge of all ignition used on motors. When flying ceased in November, 1917, he gave lectures on ignition and also conducted a school in general motorcycle work.
  In January, 1918, he was transferred to Rich Field. He started the machine shop, installing all its machines, and superintended the running of it. In March considerable magneto trouble arose on the flying field and he was asked to straighten that out and was about two months so doing. He then returned to the machine shop and has been there to date. He has been in charge of the experimental end of that section, designing and perfecting applications to be used on the planes, including the safety gas tank vent, gasoline strainer and the breather pipe check valve, all of which are valuable accessories.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact