Viewing page 20 of 26

In the late spring of 1915 Curtiss and J.A.D. McCurdy formed the Canadian Company at Toronto, Canada, and a flying school was established there to train Canadian World 1 Cadets. A number of American Curtiss pilots were immediately [[strikethrough]] at [[/strikethrough]] [[strikethrough]] once [[/strikethrough]] employed as instructors and Acosta was transferred from California as one of them. The school grew rapidly with both land and water instruction and a large number of students were taught during the flying season.
That fall the Toronto School was closed for the winter and Curtiss transferred Acosta to the newly formed school at Newport News, Virginia, as an instructor, with Captain T. S. Baldwin in charge. In addition to his instruction activities Curtiss was also doing considerable experimental work [[strikethrough]] there [[/strikethrough]] on new planes, and Acosta assisted with these flight tests. In March, 1916, he demonstrated several now Curtiss Model "R" planes before Russian Government representatives at Old Point, Virginia.
Acosta remained there with Curtiss, [[strikethrough]] then [[/strikethrough]] until in the early spring of 1917, when he became a civilian instructor for the Signal Corpse, United States Army, at Hazelhurst Field, Mineola, Long Island, New York. On March 26th he [[strikethrough]] flew [[/strikethrough]] piloted one of a squadron of planes flying from Mineola to look for two suspected German U-boats reported at sea off Montauk Point, Long Island. On April 20th he piloted one of several government planes that flew in formation over New York City dropping military recruitment blanks. On June 7th he again flew over the city dropping Liberty Loan circulars. That fall he began doing preliminary flight test work on new type planes, and on September 15th began flight tests of the new Ordinance Engineering Company's training tractor biplane. It had side-by-side seating and was powered by a 4-cylinder 100 h.p. Duesenberg engine. Acosta continued tests on this plane on Long Island through October. In November he started the Duesenberg first flight tests of the new Continental Aircraft Company pusher biplane with a 4-wheel landing gear and outrigger tail. Acosta was rapidly becoming known as one of the best test pilots in the game and was in demand for such work. In December he was transferred to Ellington Field, Houston, Texas, as an instructor for the winter.
In 1918 Acosta was commissioned as Captain and appointed testing and


Transcription Notes:
Unsure what was written in above "once" in paragraph 1. it says immediately, i added it

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact