Viewing page 15 of 47


consistent regularity of his day-after-day flying amply proved his remarkable flying ability and thorough understanding of the limitations of his plane. Considering the frailty of the machines of that day, and the utter lack of service facilities along the route, it was indeed a striking achievement. On the flight, he carried a message from the St. Louis Post Dispatch to the New York World. It is reported that Mr. Evans presented the prize award to Atwood at the Knickerbocker Hotel in New York on August 25th. Totaling his 1911 cross-country jaunts after this trip, Atwood had covered 2,950 miles since learning to fly.

Following this Atwood returned to Boston where he was a contestant in Harvard-Boston Aviation Meet which was held August 26th to September 6th. Flying there were C. Graham-White, Tom Sopwith, Earl Ovington, Arthur Stone, Lincoln Beachey, Eugene Ely, Frank Coffyn, Howard Gill and George Beatty. All Boston honored Atwood on August 28th and it was proclaimed ATWOOD DAY. During the Meet Atwood flew to Medford, Massachusetts and return carrying his father. After this event Atwood returned to Hempstead, Long Island, New York and flew from there to give an exhibition at Riverhead, Long Island, on September 21st.

Atwood talked of entering the Hearst Trans-Continental Race that fall, but evidently his plans did not work out. September 26th to 28th he flew at the Stark County Fair, Canton, Ohio with Brookins, Drew, Ely and Seligman. It was a good event and passengers were carried. On October 3d he flew at the Brockton Fair, Brockton, Massachusetts with Beachey, and October 14th was at New Bedford, Massachusetts, then flew from there to Middleboro, Massachusetts, carrying E. C. Cotton of Lynn. At Middleboro he made three flights in a rainstorm during an Atwood Day Celebration.

October 25th to 28th Atwood, Burgess and Cliff Webster were flight testing the first Burgess-Wright Hydroaeroplane at Marblehead. It was a standard Burgess-Wright with floats attached to the regular skids. Atwood evidently severed his connection with the Burgess Company and Curtis during November, 1911, after a very outstanding season of flying accomplishments. He had astounded the aviation world with his remarkable cross-country flights with but a few weeks of actual practice,

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact