Viewing page 39 of 47

with whistles and cannon fire. During the races Atwood flew back and forth over the course, carrying Mayor Mahon of New London. He then decided to fly on to New York and the next morning, July 1st, left New London alone and flew to Astoria, Long Island, where he landed for fuel. Leaving there he flew down the East River until he was opposite lower Manhattan, then headed for the Singer Building which he circled, going on to a landing at Governors Island after flying over the Cunard liner [[underlined]]Saxonia[[/underlined]] which was coming in to dock. This was reportedly the first time an [[strikethrough]] aeroplane [[/strikethrough]] airplane had ever flown over New York City.
Atwood remained in New York until July 4th and carried several passengers including Clifford Webster, who later became a well known aviator. On July 3rd he carried Lt. J. C. Fickel of the Post on a 20-minute flight over the Bay and circled the Statue of Liberty. On that day he also flew the tests for his F.A.I. License, No. 33, which was granted on July 19th. On July 4th he flew from Governors Island to Atlantic City, New Jersey, making stops at Asbury Park, Sea Girt and Tuckerton, New Jersey, for fuel and oil. At Atlantic City he carried passengers on July 5th and 6th, including Charles Hamilton. [[strikethrough]] As [[/strikethrough]] Atwood had invited [[strikethrough]] him [[/strikethrough]]Hamilton to join in a flight to Washington, D.C.
As they started on this flight from the beach on July 7th, a dog snapped at one of the propellers and split the blade. After repairs another start was made but the machine did not climb well, a strong puff of wind caused Atwood to momentarily lose control and they crash landed in the surf. They were not injured but the plane was badly damaged and the engine was under salt water. As a result, on July 9th Hamilton had his plane towed behind an automobile from New Haven, Connecticut to Atlantic City [[strikethrough]] on July 9th which [[/strikethrough]] This enabled them to start again on July 10th, and they left Atlantic City early that morning and landed at Farnhurst, Delaware, for fuel. Leaving there at 7:30 a.m. they landed at Stemmers Run near Baltimore, Maryland, at 9:25 and remained there for the day due to the extreme heat which was affecting their motor. [[strikethrough]] Leaving there [[/strikethrough]] They left Stemmers Run the following morning at 4:40 a.m. [[strikethrough]] they [[/strikethrough]] and arrived at College Park, Maryland, just outside Washington, D.C., at 5:45. Having now covered 461 miles Atwood was making national headlines and became known as the "King of the Long
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact