Viewing page 45 of 47

three and one-half hours later he was forced down out of fuel near Bar Point, Canada, at the mouth of the Detroit River. After drifting for some time he was picked up by a tug and towed into Ecorse, Michigan. He started to fly back to Sandusky on June 10th but was forced to take shelter in the lee of an island when a severe storm came up. He finally reached Sandusky about 1:00 [[/strikethrough]], his long overdue arrival having caused considerable alarm. 
Atwood then decided to put his Burgess-Wright Hydro in commission and on June 27th made a 45-minute flight with it. Following this he contracted to fly at Toledo Beach for the TOledo Railway and Light Company, and moved his operation there to carry passengers and give exhibitions at the resort. In July he also did some flying at Lorain, Ohio, and flew from Toledo to Sandusky over Lake Erie. In early August he rode as a passenger with Beckwith Havens from Toledo to Detroit and return in a Curtiss Flying Boat. During August Atwood purchased a new Wright 6-cylinder 60 h.p. engine for his Burgess hydro, which greatly increased its performance for off-water flying. In early September he few for the Printers Exposition at Toledo Beach. Early in October he made several cross-country flights from Toledo carrying passengers, then made flights at Swanton and Oak Harbor, Ohio and continued his activities there through the late fall of 1913. That month he demonstrated his 60 h.p. Burgess hydro to the State Militia and Naval Reserves at Toledo. 
Atwood evidently remained in Toledo over the winter months of 1913-1914 and did electrical engineering work for the Railway and Light Company. In December the Wright Company exhibited one of their new [[/strikethrough]] "Aeroboats" at the Toledo Auto Show with Atwood in charge of the display. During the early spring months of 1914 he conducted the flight tests of an [[/strikethrough]] Aeroboat on Lake Erie for the Wright Company; it [[/strikethrough]] was assigned to the Nacy Department. Wright Company chief engineer Grover Leaning assisted in these tests, and in March they were flying speed tests about 100 feet off the water in very rough air. Suddenly a severe bump ripped the stabilizer and elevator assembly away from the tail outriggers and the plane plunged into the lake at about 45˚. They plowed into the water some 8 to 10
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact