Viewing page 6 of 29
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
he served in their Esquadrille C 36, MF 8 and MF 8C until November, 1915 when he returned to the United States and back to California. There he started to work as a propeller man for Glenn L. Martin. From August, 1916 to March, 1917 he was with the Advance Aircraft Company in Los Angeles in charge of engineering. There he designed and built a plane for a steam power plant. During this time he also operated an air field at Venice, California where he did considerable flying, including some for movies. When World War I broke out Babcock offered his services to assist in the United States aviation program and became a flight instructor at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida on single float JN-9 planes. He left there in November, 1917 to go with the Fisher Body Company, Detroit, Michigan, with the civilian USAAS DH plane production program. While there he also started the Detroit National Training Corps at Crosse Pointe, Michigan. A combined ground school and flying course was offered and Babcock prepared all schedules and pamphlets for this project. In August, 1918 Babcock joined the United States Army Air Service where he remained until March, 1919 when he went with the United States Airplane and Motor Corporation, Upper Sandusky, Ohio, There he designed and supervised the building of the LC-7 light biplane for sport and commercial use. It was a neat conventional fuselage type 2-seat tandem tractor biplane using a 60 H.P. 4 cylinder in-line air-cooled Kemp aircraft engine. He then opened a Consulting Aeronautical Engineering office in Elyria, Ohio, where he remained through 1921. In 1922 and 1923 Babcock was connected with the National Airways Service at Akron, Ohio. In 1924 he formed the Babcock Aircraft Company in Akron, where he built a biplane, called the Teal, for commercial use, first with an OX engine, then later with a Curtiss C-6. From then until 1931 he built several 2-seat mid-wing monoplanes, called the Ranger, with a variety of engines, including steam, inverted-in-line and a 3 cyl. 55 H.P. radial designed and built by Babcock and W.G. Clark of Akron, using LeRhone rotary engine cylinders. With on of these planes Babcock also conducted the first flight tests of
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.