Viewing page 7 of 29
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
the low-pressure, balloon type Airwheels ever made by Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company. Out of this extensive development program emerged a 2-seat side-by-side tapered mid-wing monoplane which was distinctly ahead of its time. It embodied several new and novel features, with an all-metal propeller, an engine starter, brakes and dual control with a steerable tail wheel on the bottom of the rudder. The most unusual feature was windows in the fuselage alongside the seat on both sides underneath the wing through which pilot and passenger were afforded a clear unobstructed view of the landing gear and a wide area of the view below. This plane, called the "Taube", was licensed with a 75 H.P. 4 cyl. in-line inverted Rover engine and was flown extensively for many years. At the time Babcock had great hopes that the Taube could be produced and put on the market, but during the depression years this was not possible. Throughout these lean years of building and developing planes Babcock always had the able assistance of Mrs. Babcock who would cut, fit and sew all the cloth for his new machines. Babcock then turned his attention to electronics and radio, and designed and manufactured a radio set called the "Music Circle". This battery operated unique radio had the set and speaker all in one unit mounted on a standlike base, circular in shape, to house the cone speaker in front with the set mounted coaxially just behind. He formed the Beacon Microphone Company in Akron, Ohio to manufacture them and remained in this business until 1937. At that time his love of aviation returned and he redesigned the Taube and again formed the Babcock Airplane Company. The new version was an enclosed streamlined cabin plane using a 95 H.P. American Cirrus engine. Called the "Airmaster" it performed exceptionally well and quickly created much interest in aviation circles. In view of considerable interest in Florida Babcock flew it from Akron to Sanford, Florida in 1939 in an effort to promote its manufacture there. In spite of a smashup during demonstrations the southern interests accepted Bobcock's proposals and the entire project, equipment and company assets were moved to DeLand, Florida. There, with further improvements and revisions, the Babcock Airplane Company stated to 4
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.