Viewing page 22 of 29

flying, including some for the motion picture industry.

When World War I broke out Babcock offered his services to assist in the United States aviation program and became a flight instructor on single float JN-9 planes at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida. He left there in November 1917, to go with the Fisher Body Company, Detroit, Michigan, to assist with the U.S. Army Air Service DeHavilland airplane production program. While there he also started the Detroit National Training Corps on Woodward Avenue in Detroit. A combined ground school and flying course was offered and Babcock prepared all schedules and pamphlets for this project.

In August, 1918, Babcock joined the United States Army Air Service where he remained until March, 1919, when he opened a Consulting Aeronautical Engineering office in Elyria, Ohio, which he conducted through 1920. In 1921 and 1922, he was connected with the National Airways Service at Akron, Ohio. In 1924 he formed the Babcock Aircraft Company in Akron, where he built a biplane, called the "Teal", for commercial use, first using an OX engine, then later a Curtiss C-6. From then until 1931 he built several two-seat, mid-wing monoplanes, called "Cadet," "Ranger," and "Taube," with a variety of engines, including inverted-in-line and a 3-cylinder, 55 h.p. radial, designed and built by Babcock and W.G. Clark of Akron, using LeRhone rotary engine cylinders. With one of these planes Babcock also conducted the first flight tests of the low-pressure, balloon-type airwheels ever made by Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company.

Out of this extensive development program emerged a two-seat, side-by-side, tapered mid-wing monoplane which was distinctly ahead of its time. It embodied several new and novel features, with an all-metal propeller, an engine starter, brakes and dual control with a steerable tail wheel on the bottom of the rudder. The most unusual feature was windows in the fuselage alongside the seat on both sides under the wing through which pilot and passenger were afforded a clear unobstructed view of the landing gear and a wide area below. 


Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.