Viewing page 27 of 29
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
He was in their Esquadrille C 36, MF 6 and MF 8C until November, 1915, when he returned to the United States and to California. There he started to work as a propeller man for Glenn L. Martin. From August, 1916, to March 1917, he was with the Advance Aircraft Company in Los Angeles in charge of engineering, where he designed and built a plane for a steam power plant. During that time he also operated an air field at Venice, California, and did considerable flying, including some for the motion picture industry. When World War I broke out Babcock offered his services to assist in the United States aviation program and became a flight instructor on single JN-9 planes at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida. He left there in November, 1917 to go with the Fisher Body Company, Detroit, Michigan, to assist with the U.S. Army Air Service DeHavilland airplane production program. While there he also started the Detroit National Training Corps on Woodward Avenue in Detroit. A combined ground school and flying course was offered and Babcock prepared all schedules and pamphlets for this project. In August, 1918, Babcock joined the United States Army Air service where he remained until March, 1919, when he opened a Consulting Aeronautical Engineering office in Elyria, Ohio, which he conducted through 1920. In 1921 and 1922, he was connected with the National Airways Service at Akron, Ohio. In 1924 he formed the Babcock Aircraft Company in Akron, where he built a biplane, called the "Teal", for commercial use, first using an OX engine, then later a Curtiss C-6. From then until 1931 he built several 2-seat, mid-wing monoplanes, called "Cadet", "Ranger," and "Taube", with a variety of engines, including inverted-in-line and a 3-cylinder 55 h.p. radial, designed and built by Babcock and W.G.Clark of Akron, using LeRhone rotary engine cylinders. With one of these planes Babcock also conducted the first flight tests of the low-pressure, balloon-type airwheels ever made by Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company. Out of this extensive development program emerged a 2-seat side-by-side tapered mid-wing monoplane which was distinctly ahead of its time. It embodied several new and novel features, with an all-metal propeller, an engine starter, brakes and dual control with a steerable tail wheel on the bottom of the rudder. The most
Note the movement and change in sentences marked by the editor in the second paragraph. Not sure why ")" is inserted multiple times.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.