Viewing page 28 of 29
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
unusual feature was windows in the fuselage alongside the seat on both sides under the wing through which pilot and passenger were afforded a clear unobstructed view of the landing gear and a wide area view below. This plane, called the "Taube", was licensed with a 75 h.p. 4 -cylinder in-line inverted Rover engine and was flown extensively for many years. At the time Babcock had great hopes that the "Taube" could be produced and put on the market, but during the depression years this was not possible. Throughout these lean years of designing and building airplanes, Babcock always had the able assistance of Mrs. Babcock who would cut, fit and sew all the cloth for his many aircraft. Babcock then turned his attention to electronics and radio, and designed and manufactored a radio set called the "Music Circle". This battery-operated [[strikethrough]] unique [[strikethrough]] radio had the set and speaker in one unit mounted on a column-like base, circular in shape, to house the cone speaker in front, with the set mounted coaxially just behind. He formed the Beacon Microphone Company in Akron, Ohio, to manufacture them and remained in this business until 1937. At that time his love of aviation returned and he redesigned the "Taube", and again formed the Babcock Airplane Company. The new version was an enclosed streamlined cabin plane using a 95 h.p. American Cirrus engine. Called the "Airmaster" it performed exceptionally well and quickly created much interest in aviation circles. In view of considerable aviation interest in Florida, Babcock flew it from Akron to Sanford, Florida, in 1939 in an effort to promote its manufacture there. In spite of a smashup during demonstrations the southern interests accepted his proposals and the entire project, equipment, and company assets, [[srikethrough]] were [[strikethrough]] [[?]] moved to DeLand, Florida. There, with further improvements and revisions, the Babcock Airplane Company started to produce the Airmaster. By the time the project was nicely under way, World War II came and the company was obligated to convert the equipment to make large troop-carrying assault gliders for the government. The last Airmaster, built in 1940, was equipped with the 120 h.p. Martin-Chevrolet inverted in-line engine which gave the plane exceptionally good performance. During World War II, after completing a sizable contract for assault gliders, The Babcock Aircraft Company also made a large number of aircraft engine assembly
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.