Viewing page 14 of 15

called the "Haddock" for a man by that name, which Ivy operated some in 1909. On October 11th, 1909, Ivy and J. C. Irvine made an ascension in the balloon "Queen of the Pacific," at the Oakland, California, Aero Club Balloon Races.

On April 2nd, 1910, Ivy and R. W. Martland flew the "Queen of the Pacific" from Oakland to Tracy, California. That summer Ivy's interest turned to flying and during October he purchased a Curtiss-type pusher biplane powered by a 4-cylinder Hall-Scott engine, and [[strikethrough]]was [[/strikethrough]] began trying to learn to fly it at the Parade Grounds of the Presidio at San Francisco. After many trials and tribulations with numerous smash-ups, he succeeded in making some short flights. He had the urge to fly around Alcatraz Island and through the Golden Gate, but crashed on take-off.

In January, 1911, he made some short flights with his machine at the Hope Ranch near Santa Barbara, California, then undertook some exhibition flying. In May his plane was badly wrecked when his mechanic tried to fly the plane without permission and it was necessary to send it to the California Aero Manufacturing Company in San Francisco to be rebuilt.

In January, 1912, Ivy organized Baldwin & Company and [[strikethrough]] was building [[/strikethrough]] built a new Curtiss-type plane, [[strikethrough]] to be [[/strikethrough]] powered by an 80 h.p. Frederickson engine, at Elmhurst, California. In April, he flew this plane at Sunset Field, Alameda, California, where he soon installed a 4-cylinder opposed-type engine built by Frederickson.

In 1913, he returned to Denver where he contracted to fly a twin-float hydro-[[strikethrough]]aero [[/strikethrough]] plane from Sloan's Lake at the Manhattan Beach resort. There he flew well and carried passengers that season. Evidently he gave up flying at the end of that season but never lost interest in show business and aeronautics. Reportedly he retired to a ranch 60 miles northwest of Denver, near Eldorado Springs, Colorado, and there, in 1928, announced the opening of his aviation tourist camp. He had made an airstrip and invited flying guests.

Just to prove that he could still do it, he [[strikethrough]]again [[/strikethrough]]made two more trips across South Boulder Creek Canyon on a tightwire, on his 82nd birthday.

His wife passed away in 1947, following which he continued to live alone on his ranch. After spending a lifetime defying death, Ivy died alone in his cabin on October 9, 1953, at age 87. He was survived by two sons and a daughter. Burial was at

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact