Viewing page 10 of 41

Kenosha, Wisconsin, then Beachey was a contestant at the Harvard-Boston Meet on August 26th to September 4th. He flew at the Wisconsin State Fair at Milwaukee with Witmer September 11th to 16th, then was at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin September 23d and 24th. On the 26th he flew at Muscatine, Iowa, the 27th at Clarinda, Iowa and Dubuque on September 28th. September 30th and October 1st he was at Sheboygan, Wisconsin, then October 3d to 6th he and Atwood flew at Brockton, Massachusetts. From there Beachey flew at the Alabama State Fair at Birmingham for one week with Hamilton, then at Belvidere, Illinois October 18th. On the 21st he flew at Rochester, New York and carried authorized mail. Novemeber 5th and 6th he was at Fort Smith, November 16th to 18th he flew at Atlanta, Arkansas and carried mail. Georgia with Witmer and Thornwell Andrews and again carried mail. 


   Remaining in the south Beachey started a one-week flying engagement at San Juan, Puerto Rico on December 7th, the first flight ever seen there. He filled other dates there, then was a contestant at the Air Meet in Havana, Cuba for six days beginning December 22d. Flying there also were Havens and Walsh. At the event Beachey won a race over the city and return on January 2d, 1912.

   From Havana Beachey was a contestant at the Los Angeles Air West January 20th to 28th, 1912. Just one year before he had been a mere student novice there, unable to make a hop without smashing the machine, now he was a headliner everywhere by his seemingly reckless, but spectacular, flying ability. At Los Angeles he "stole the show" to cheering crowds with his dives, tight spirals and roller-coaster antics. There he and Glenn Martin also conducted a series of night flying experiments.

   Following this Beachey was a contestant at the Oakland, California meet February 17th to 25th, then reportedly took a well earned vacation. He resumed flying on May 11th at College Park, Maryland to conduct military requirement tests of a large dual-control Curtiss machine for the Curtiss Company. The trials required a climb of 2,000 feet in ten minutes with a 450 pound load. On June 8th Beachey flew at a small Yale Aero Club meet at New Haven, Connecticut disguised as a woman and was introduced as "Madame Helane" who knew practically nothing about flying. Discarding his usual graceful style he took off in a wobbling dash, then cavorted and careened

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact