Viewing page 9 of 26


on occasion. In view of these changes Benoist gave up flying that year. The new 4-place flying boat was completed and flown in June, then work was started on a large 7-passenger twin engine flying boat of 75 foot span, using two 100 H.P. Roberts engines. This was successfully test flown later in the year.
Benoist moved hist operations to Chicago in the early spring of 1915, but apparently kept his St. Louis facility intact. That spring he continued development work on the large twin-engine boat and had orders for additional standard flying boats. He also built a small single seat tractor biplane for Curt Day using a 50 H.P. 6-cylinder radial engine, which was used in exhibitions that season. During the summer months Benoist operated passenger carrying planes at the Chicago Bench Hotel and Lincoln Park which did substantial business. Work on the large twin-engine flying boat was carried on at St. Louis, and in December Rodger Jannus conducted a series of tests of this craft on the river north of the city. J.D. Smith was kept busy delivering and demonstrating new flying boats to purchasers.
In May, 1916 Benoist abandoned his St. Louis and Chicago operations and moved the business to Sandusky, Ohio, where he located in a portion of the Roberts Motor Company shop. That summer he built and sold some all-new model planes, one a 45 foot span land tractor biplane, having an all-steel fuselage with wood cloth covered wings. Another was a pusher biplane flying boat, with the engine mounted between the wings having a direct propeller, abandoning the characteristic engine in the hull with chain propeller drive for the first time. During November Benoist entered a bid with the United States Government to supply military planes, but was not successful in getting an order.
In February, 1971 Benoist exhibited one of his lates flying boats at the first Pan American Aeronautic Exposition at Grand Central Palace in New York City. Unable to get any United States military business he left for Europe about this time where he reportedly succeeded in securing some introductory orders for a few planes. Upon his return he started a flying school at Sandusky and inaugurated a airline for the summer months between Sandusky and nearby Cedar Point Resort, with an afternoon flight to Put-In-Bay and return. There is evidence that Benoist

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact