Viewing page 29 of 51
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
amphibian type machine, with a mechanically operated retractable landing gear for beaching and alighting on land. This was undoubtedly one of the first retractable landing gear applications on aircraft. This plane was designed by Joseph, and reportedly he did his last flying during its tests. The new firm also announced that engines of 60, 70, and 100 h.p. were available. [✓] In August, Aeromarine reported that the well-known engine manufacturer, Charles B. Kirkham, of Savona, New York, had become a member of the Aeromarine staff and that the company was preparing to manufacture the complete line of Kirkham aviation engines. Nothing of note appears to have developed from this and by April, 1915, Kirkman had left Aeromarine and was working for the Curtiss Company. In June, 1915, a new 100 h.p., 6-cylinder, geared Aeromarine engine was announced, weighing 435 pounds and resembling the former Kirkham engines in many respects. At this time Aeromarine also advertised New York offices in the times [✓] Building. In November, Mr. Uppercu engaged pioneer Long Island aviator and plane manufacturer, Albert Heinrich, to design and supervise the construction of a new [j/j] twin-engine, military type,bombing plane at the Nutley, New Jersey, shop, using two of the new Aeromarine 6-cylinder engines. For this project the Atlantic Aircraft Company was formed, jointly owned by Uppercu and Heinrich. In January, 19196, the Aeromarine 100 h.p. engine has passed [[strikethrough]] G [[/strikethrough]] overnments tests [[right margin l.c.]]in Great Britain and tests were in progress in France. In mid-February the Atlantic Aircraft Company exhibited the new twin-engine bomber at the Newark Automobile Show, following which it was taken to Hempstead, Long Island, for flight tests which proved highly satisfactory. Heinrich wanted to get the [[strikethrough]] G [[/strikethrough]]government [[right margin l.c.]]interested in this plane but Uppercu objected. This disagreement resulted in Heinrich resigning from the project to take over the plane developments himself. In March Aeromarine purchased 50 acres of land at Keyport, New Jersey, as part of a move to provide additional facilities. In October the famous pioneer-engineer, Charles Willard, joined Aeromarine at Keyport on engineering and development 9
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.