Viewing page 4 of 15

[[left margin rubber stamp]] FROM THE FLYING PIONEERS BIOGRAPHIES OF HAROLD E. MOREHOUSE [[/left margin rubber stamp]]

third Golden Potlach Celebration and made night flights d th fireworks. Also flying at the event were Silas and Harry Christofferson. During the last week of July she flew at Vancouver, British Columbia where she exhibited before the Prince of wales and became the first woman to fly in Canada. Her husband, Johnny Bryant, also flew there. Following this engagement their plane was shipped across the Strait of Georgia to Victoria, British Columbia where they were to fly the first week of August. Each were scheduled to make one flight a day from the Willows Race Track. All went well through August 5th when Johnny installed a float so he could fly from the water during a water carnival. On August 6th he made one flight successfully during the afternoon, then at 5:00 P.M. he took off on a second flight. while directly over the city, for some unknown reason, his plane went into a dive, then part way down began to disintegrate, following which he crashed onto the roof of a downtown building where he was instantly killed, leaving Alys a bride of ten weeks.

After the tragedy she gave up flying until November, 1913 when she made several flights at Harbor Island, Seattle, Washington for the movies. She did some flying on the west coast again in 1914. in 1915 he joined the Benoist Aircraft Company at St. Louis, Missouri, then later at Sandusky, Ohio where she served as an instructor and did some flying. In October, 1916 she was employed as an instructor by the Scientific Aeroplane Company flying school at Stratford, Connecticut.

During World War I Alys was employed by Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company at Akron, Ohio where she worked on military blimps. Following this she became a diver and did professional underwater work repairing wharves and ships, and some work with carnival shows. She then became a jewelry and cosmetics saleslady for various firms, later developing her own formula cosmetics. About 1934 she moved to Washington, D.C. where she lived the balance of her life.

During World War II she took a course in welding and was employed by TWA at the Washington National Airport repairing metal parts of transport aircraft. There she passed away on September 6, 1954 at age 74. She was survived by a brother, a sister and two nieces. Cremation followed funeral services. She was an Early Bird but had never become a licensed pilot.

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact