Viewing page 6 of 15

used an OX-2 engine. On April 30th he flew the new twin-engine JN-5 to 16,500 feet altitude with a passenger.

On May 29th Carlstrom flew the twin-engine JN-5 from Newport News to Sheepshead Bay, Long Island, New York nonstop, in 4 hours, carrying Capt. R. L. Taylor. There Carlstrom demonstrated the plane in the Sheepshead Bay Military air tournament. On June 1st he flew this plane from New York to the Polo Grounds, Washington, D.C., carrying Alan R. Hawley, President of the Aero Club of America. On June 30th he flew a twin-engine JN-5 on floats around and made landings near the Presidential yacht, Mayflower, at anchor off Old Point Comfort, Virginia, with President Wilson on board.

Shortly after that Carlstrom flew a Curtiss Model R plane to 14,000 feet altitude at Buffalo, New York, and on August 21st flew a twin-float JN-5 661 miles during the day on a circular course between Newport News and Cape Charles, Virginia, while competing for the 1916 Curtiss Marine Trophy, carrying a mechanic, Percy Kirkham. Considerable test work on new model Curtiss planes was done that year, both at Newport News and Buffalo, and Carlstrom completed much of that work. On October 1st he conducted initial tests of a new Curtiss Triplane at Buffalo and had the plane up to 10,000 for over an hour.

At that time Carlstrom was planning a spectacular non-stop flight from Chicago to New York carrying mail. This flight was sponsored by the New York Times and was to be a "sunrise to sunset" trip. Leaving Ashburn Field, Chicago, early on November 2d in a Curtiss Model R plane, he carried over one thousand letters from prominent Chicagoans to New Yorkers. He was forced to land at Erie, Pennsylvania with a leaking gas tank, fixed it temporarily, then flew on to Hammondsport, New York, where the trouble was permanently corrected at the Curtiss factory, but these delays forced him to remain there over night. The following day he flew on to Governors Is,land, New York, to complete the flight, carrying the first air mail ever flown by air from Chicago to New York. While he failed to make the trip non-stop, his first leg of the flight from Chicago to Erie did set up a new American non-stop distance record of 452 miles. Then on the flight from Hammondsport to Governors Island he averaged 134 M.P.H., a new American speed record for cross-country flight. On December 2d


[[left margin]]
[[/left margin]]
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact