This transcription has been completed. Contact us with corrections.
[[stamped]] FROM THE FLYING PIONEERS BIOGRAPHIES OF HAROLD E. MOREHOUSE [[/stamped]] were being received for the construction and delivery of a flying machine. He received the usual acknowledgement form from the Signal Corps. Cato continued his intensive study of aeronautics and between 1909 and 1915 built three Curtiss-type biplanes, one Bleriot-type monoplane and also did considerable revamping of engines so they would run, as well as converting some automobile engines for use in his planes. Most of the plane building and experimenting during this interval was done as a spare time activity, devoting his evenings and weekends to this work while employed as a machinist and gas engine repairman. After completing his first plane in 1909 Cato succeeded in making his first solo hop on October 15th. During this period Cato became acquainted with H. W. Blakley who already knew how to fly and he assisted Cato with his work and some flying instruction. At times Cato also did airframe and engine work for other local private plane builders to earn money for his own program. During 1912 and 1913 Cato and Blakley flew some exhibition engagements together at nearby points. Blakley later left California to join Capt. T. S. Baldwin's team of exhibition aviators, then in 1915 went with the Sloane Aeroplane Company of Boundbrook, New Jersey. There Blakley saw an opening for Cato and wired an offer to join them on experimental development work. Cato accepted and started in November, 1915 where he remained until April, 1916 when both he and Blakley left to join the L. W. F. Engineering Company at College Point, Long Island, N.Y. There Cato became Experimental Aeronautical Engineer and assistant to the General Manager. While there, and with his assistance, the L. W. F. planes went on to considerable renown. Their program introduced several innovations at that time, the first full monocoque, moulded plywood fuselage, later armored, balanced controls, etc. with 135 H.P. Vee Eight Thomas motor. Later this engine was replaced by a Liberty-12 which was flight tested in January, 1918. These planes had an exceptionally good performance and many noteworthy flights were made with them. In December, 1918 Cato left L.W.F. to join the Marlin-Rockwell Corp., New Haven, Conn. where he was in charge of a program to design and build a small 2