Viewing page 16 of 21

bearings were used throughout. It had a novel internal aircooling system in addition to the usual external finning of the cylinders. While at Marlin-Rockwell, Cato flew for his Pilot License, No. 352, in the early spring of 1919. In June, 1919, he returned to L.W.F. where he assisted in a redesign of the "Owl" mail plane and also designed and supervised the construction of a small sport monoplane designated the "Butterfly," using the Cato light plane engine. 

In May, 1921, Cato became Project Engineer and assistant to Capt. George E.A. Hallett, Chief of the Power Plant Branch, U.S. Army Air Service, McCook Field, Dayton, Ohio, assigned to a long-range radial air-cooled engine development program. While there he prepared books recording the histories of several World War I aircraft engines. He left McCook in December, 1926, to become Chief Engineer and General Manager of G. Elias and Bro., Inc., of Buffalo, New York, where he was assigned to designing a small light plane with an 80 h.p. engine. Three different small planes were designed, built and flight tested but the engine program did not materialize. Later he also had charge of some military projects for the company. 

In May, 1930, Cato left G. Elias to join the Emsco Aircraft Corporation of Downey, California, as General Superintendent and Production Manager. There he supervised the re-design of three of their aircraft and put them through A.T.C. (Approved Type Certificate) tests, only to be confronted with a company decision to suspend aircraft activities. Cato was retained, however, as Production Engineer and Assistant to the President, and also permitted to do some outside aircraft consulting. During this time he designed another light plane and engine on his own time. He then formed the Cato Aircraft and Engine Corporation, hoping to get into business for himself but this did not materialize. 

In 1941 Cato became Chief Aircraft Maintenance Inspector and General Superintendent of the aircraft shops at Castle Air Force Base, Merced, California. There he designed and supervised the construction of numerous special

3
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.