Viewing page 19 of 21
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
duly acknowledged by the Signal Corps. The contract was awarded to the Wright brothers. Cato continued his intensive study of aeronautics and soloed on October 15th, 1909. In rapid succession he constructed and flew three Curtiss-type biplanes, one Bleriot-type monoplane. [[Illegible]] did considerable revising of engines [[crossed-out]] so they would run, as well as [[/crossed-out]] and even converted some automobile engines for use in his airplanes. Most of his plane building and experimenting was done as a spare time activity, devoting his evenings and weekends to this work while employed as a machinist and gasoline engine repairman. During this period Cato became acquainted with H.W. Blakley who already knew who to fly. He assisted Cato with his work and improved his flying ability. At times Cato did airframe and engine work for other local private plane builders to earn money for his own program. During 1912 and 1913 Cato and Blakley flew some exhibition engagements together at nearby places. Blakley later left California to join Capt. Thomas S. Baldwin's team of exhibition aviators, then in 1915, he went with the Sloane Aeroplane Company of Bound Brook, New Jersey. There, Blakley saw an opening for Cato and wired him an offer to join them in the experimental development work. Cato accepted in November, 1915, remaining until April, 1916, when both he and Blakley left to join the L.W.F. (Lowe, Willard and Fowler) Engineering Company at College Point, Long Island, New York. There Cato became Experimental Aeronautical Engineer and assistant to the General Manager. With his assistance, the L.W.F. planes attained considerable renown, including such features as a full moncoque, molded plywood fuselage. This form of construction led to an association of the initials L.W.F., with Laminated Wood Fuselage. Other unusual features were armor protection for vital areas and the pilot, and control surfaces that were so balanced that the pilot's physical efforts were reduced. The earlier L.W.F. airplanes were powered by a 135 h.p. V-8 Thomas engine. In a later airplane a Liberty-8 was installed. Further improvements resulted in the first installation of a Liberty-12 engine which was a principal national effort of World War-I. It was flight tested in January, 1918. These airplanes had exceptionally good performance.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.