Viewing page 29 of 31
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
from the start. [[strikethrough]] and [[/strikethrough]] Impressed by its performance he organized a company and sold stock to build a factory. Victor H. Ross of Omaha, Nebraska, became one of the major investors in the new venture and the firm became known as the Cessna-Ross Aircraft Company on September 8, 1927. An eleven-acre tract of land was acquired and factory buildings started. Cessna continued development of the "Comet" and soon replaced the Anzani engine with the Wright J-5, 225 [[/strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] unit. In December Roos resigned, st[[?]] sold his stock to Cessna and the company name was changed to Cessna Aircraft Company, which has never been changed. Late in the year Cessna exhibited his first cantilever-wing monoplane at the Detroit Aircraft Show. With new factory facilities, Cessna was anxious to start a production program and planned [[strikethrough]] four models [[/strikethrough]] five types of cantilever monoplanes for 1928. They were to be [[strikethrough]] 2, [[/strikethrough]] 3- and 4-place, with [[strikethrough]] 90 and [[/strikethrough]] 120 h.p. Anzani, 125 h.p. Siemens-Halske, [[strikethrough]] and Wright J-5 engines. [[/strikethrough]] 110 h.p. Warner, 130 h.p. Comet and 150 h.p. Axelson engines. At that time, however, he could not produce and sell planes until he could get a Government Type Certificate from the Department of Commerce. Due to numerous delays this was not obtained until August, but permission had been granted to sell some planes on a "Certificate pending" basis. Flying a Warner-powered Cessna, company test pilot Earl Rowland won every event in its class that year, including the trans continental air derby from New York to Los Angeles in September. In November Cessna completed a new 6-place 44-foot-span cantilever monoplane, powered by a Wright J-6, 300 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] engine. [[strikethrough]] Regardless of [[/strikethrough]] Despite the certification delays in 1928 , the company had manufactured 46 planes as the year ended [[strikethrough]] with [[/strikethrough]] and had 96 planes still on order. In February 1929, Cessna arranged for the Curtiss Flying Service to handle all sales and the Board of Directors of the company decided to buy 80 acres of land outside the city and build a large new factory. [[strikethrough]] 50,000 [[/strikethrough]] Fifty thousand new shares of stock were sold to finance the expansion with Cessna retaining the Presidency. By mid summer operations were moved to new factory and some new [[strikethrough]] models [[/strikethrough]] types were added. However, shortly after production started the economy of the [[strikethrough]] county [[/strikethrough]] nation began to weaken. [[strikethrough]] and [[/strikethrough]] On October 29th the stock market crashed and the business world panicked and came to a 5
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.