Viewing page 6 of 19

[[left margin stamp]] FROM THE FLYING PIONEERS BIOGRAPHIES OF HAROLD E. MOREHOUSE [[/left margin stamp]]

Boyd and A. Fessler.  They were also rapidly building up their shop facilities in an effort to make it the best equipped aeroplane factory on the West Coast.  In February, they merged with the ALCO Hydroaeroplane Co. (Allen Loughead) who were also building a plane, and erected a hanger at Ft. Mason with room for two planes.  In late February their first flying boat was nearing completion and two more were started.
Early in April, 1913, the first Christofferson Flying Boat was launched.  It was a biplane of 49 ft. span, seated three, and was powered with a 110-120 HP Hall-Scott engine located in the hull, driving a separately mounted high propeller by roller chain.  It was an immediate success.  In May two of these flying boats were sold to Arctic explorer Roald Amundsen for his use in exploring the polar regions.  They were to be capable of operating off the water or ice fields.  These planes were built but not delivered to Amundsen, as World War I changed his plans.  The aircraft were embargoed and were never used in the Arctic.  They were sold to Japanese interests later on.
During the summer of 1913, the brothers were very active in exhibition flying at many places throughout the western States.  Starting July 14th, Harry flew his Hall-Scott powered Hydro at the 1913 Potlach celebration at Seattle, Wash. for six days.  While there he played a part in the spectacular record-breaking round-the-world trip of John H. Mears of New York, by flying him from his incoming ship across Elliot Bay to the wharf in record time, using a Christofferson Hydro.  In August, Harry and Silas gave exhibitions at Saltair, Salt Lake City, for a time, and while there, Harry became the second aviator to fly off great Salt Lake, Glenn Curtiss having been the first.  In the fall of 1913, the brothers began flying actively at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition at San Francisco, carrying passengers and participating in aerial tournaments held each Sunday.  That winter they were very active with their flying and construction work, as well as conducting their school.
Throughout the early spring and summer months they promoted and made many noteworthy record flights and also operated an aerial ferry line between San Francisco and Oakland across the Bay, using their Christofferson flying boat AIRMAID.  July 8 - 18th they again flew at the 1914 Potlach celebration in Seattle, Wash.  In September, they brought out a new outstanding 3-seat tractor biplane, with tricycle landing gear, and powered by a 100 HP Hall-Scott engine.  This new plane was designed and built to meet military requirements
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.