Viewing page 19 of 28

reportedly the first cross-country flights in the state of Washington. 

Crawford moved his operation to San Francisco during November, 1912, ✓ and entered a meet arranged by the California Aviation Company on November 24th ✓ at the Ingleside Coursing Park. On November 23rd he flew from Ingleside over the business section of San Francisco at an altitude of 2,500 feet and circled the dome of the Call Building, dropping leaflets advertising the Ingleside Meet, then returned to the Park. Also entered in this event were ✓ Roy Francis, Ed Thompson and Ole Meyerhoffer. During the meet on November 24th Crawford carried authorized mail from the meet to a point outside the grounds and dropped it from the air, where it was picked up and delivered to the Post Office. Postmaster Fisk had authorized a substation at the Park for mail collection and arranged to transfer it by air in this manner. Crawford and Francis did most of the flying at the event and put on a fine show for the spectators. Crawford remained there for a few days and on November 27 made another flight over the business section of San Francisco, continuing across the Bay to Sunset Flying Field at Alameda. There on the 28th he made several ✓ flights and carried artist Kendrick of the Call staff. On December 6th he flew from Sunset Field, Alameda, across the Bay, over the business section of San Francisco, around Ferry Tower, circled over much of the city, then headed northeast back across the Bay, passed over Berkeley and Oakland, and returned to Sunset Field. Along the entire route he dropped leaflets advertising motorcycle races and the aviation meet at the Emeryville Race Track the following Sunday. These were reportedly the first flights ever made across San Francisco Bay. At that time he was flying for the California Aviation Company.

Back at his home in Washington the Crawford Air Navigation Company was formed at Tacoma in December, 1912. The incorporators were Harvey's father, J. B. Crawford; his mother, Kate L. Crawford; his older brother, W. H. Crawford; and S. C. Wheelock, all of Puyallup, and J. C. Sheperd of Tacoma. Crawford made

3 
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.