Viewing page 7 of 14

This transcription has been completed. Contact us with corrections.

[[strikethrough]] broke and [[/strikethrough]] jammed in such a way that they completely lost [[strikethrough]] elevator pitch [[/strikethrough]] all control for [[strikethrough]] . Keeping their heads [[/strikethrough]] climbing or descending. they steered the plane out to sea. [[strikethrough]] Leaving [[/strikethrough]] With Crowell [[strikethrough]] to [[/strikethrough]] operating [[strikethrough]] lateral and rudder control [[strikethrough]] the control for sideways balance and directional steering, Wiggin left his seat, [[strikethrough]] and climbed [[/strikethrough] moved slowly forward on the skid [[strikethrough]] and forced [[/strikethrough]] ,heading seaward to incline the airplane [[strikethrough]] into a glide [[/strikethrough]] downward. From a height of about 250 feet they succeeded in bringing the plane down about a mile off the shore and were promptly rescued by a motor launch. This [[strikethrough]] skillfully [[/strikethrough]] spectacular [[strikethrough]] ending of [[/strikethrough]] and skillful operation preventing a serious accident was witnessed by resort crowds on the beach.
In early July, 1916 Crowell and another Ashville aviator, Steve McEniry, [[strikethrough]] sponsored [[/strikethrough]] conducted a fund-raising drive to [[strikethrough]] raise funds to [[/strikethrough]] purchase an airplane [[strikethrough]] suitable plane [[/strikethrough]] for a [[strikethrough]] their [[/strikethrough]] local North Carolina National Guard Unit [[strikethrough]] , including the start of a regulation National Guard Company [[/strikethrough]].
During World War I Crowell served the Government at various airfields assisting with [[strikethrough]] in a [[/strikethrough]] mechanical [[strikethrough]] capacity [[/strikethrough]] operations.
After [[strikethrough]] World War I [[/strikethrough]] the war Crowell assisted Ashville aviator Henry Westall in establishing and operationg a local aviation [[strikethrough]] venture [[/strikethrough]] operation. Using a [[strikethrough]] World War I [[/strikethrough]] war-surplus Curtiss Canuck they started carrying passengers, making aerial photographs and giving barnstorming exhibitions through the south. At that time Crowell was also connected with the Western Carolina Auto Company.
About 1930 Crowell moved to Norfolk, Virginia where he was employed in the Aircraft Maintenance Department at the Norfolk Navy Yard, remaining there until retirement. Crowell became a member of the Early Birds in 1931.
Continuing to reside at Norfolk, Crowell passed away in a hospital there on March 29, 1955 following a long illness, at age 55. He was survived by his wife [[strikethrough]] and his [[/strikethrough]] . His remains were returned to Ashville for burial in Riverside Cemetery.
Flying Pioneer, [[strikethrough]] Early Bird [[/strikethrough]] Henry K. Crowell was one of those early aviation enthusiasts who did their bit by learning to fly and contributing towards the popular acceptance of the aeroplane. Throughout his life [[strikethrough]] While he evidently did not do much flying [[/strikethrough]] he [[strikethrough]] did [[/strikethrough]] retained his love of [[strikethrough]] the plane [[/strikethrough]] flying and continued to work in aviation [[strikethrough]] for the major part of his active life [[/strikethrough]] .