Viewing page 6 of 20
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
they developed the Dunne Hydro and flying boat models and produced a number of them. At this time they had considerable military business and also sold a special water plane to the wealthy New York sportsman Vincent Astor. In early 1915 the company received a sizeable order for special planes from the British Government. This, in addition to their growing business at home, forced them to build a second plant at Lynn, Mass. to increase their manufacturing capacity. That year they also sold more special water planes to wealthy sportsmen, one being Harry Payne Whitney of New York. From the FLYING POINEERS BIOGRAPHIES OF HAROLD E. MOREHOUSE In February, 1916 the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Corp. acquired the services of W. S. Burgess and his organization. The Curtiss Co. took over the stock of the Burgess Co. and Mr. Burgess became a Curtiss director, and all Burgess Co. employees became actively engaged in the business of the Curtiss Co., however the Burgess Division was to continue building their existing model planes. Again, Messrs. Curtis and Burgess brought out some new planes and their business was growing rapidly. More special planes were sold to sportsmen and a new twin float tractor hydro was developed, and later, a single float tractor plane using the Curtiss OX engine. In January, 1917 their plant facilities were again increased and in April announcement was made of a new side-by-side Curtis OX powered land trainer plane. By May the company was building large Flying Boat hulls for the Curtiss Co. and during the summer brought out two new model planes, the Speed Scout Seaplane and a large twin float, twin motored seaplane. During the summer of 1917 Curtis assisting in organizing a Massachusetts Naval Militia Unit. In December Burgess accepted a commission as Lt. Commander in the Navy, stationed in Washington. At this time Curtis took over at Marblehead and later became a Director of the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Corporation. During 1918 the Burgess Co. built twin-motored airship cars for the Navy and also completed an order for 400 N-9 training seaplanes. On November 7th the company suffered a serious loss when their No. 2 plant was destroyed by fire with an estimated loss of $300,000. Lost also were most of the company records as well as personal records of both Curtis and Burgess. Curtis remained in the organization into 1919, during which time Burgess was released from the Navy Department and on December 15th the plant closed down awaiting a defin-
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.