Viewing page 6 of 26

was so well pleased that he began making plans to fly it from Los Angeles to San Francisco over water via the shore route. Kearney started on this flight December 14th, 1912 carrying Chester Lawrence as passenger. After flying about 45 miles they ran into fog and a bad storm and became lost. This total disappearance led to a concentrated search, and their bodies and some parts of the plane were found several days later. Both Day and Glenn Martin aided in this search and made identifications.

Day's shop kept busy and in January, 1913 he sold a plane to a Japanese graduate student from the San Diego Curtiss School. He also made several pontoons for Hydro equipment at that time and his shop overhauled one of Sloane Company's school planes. In February Day sold a plane to another Japanese graduate aviator and in March overhauled a plane for Frank Bryant, and another for the Sloane Company. In later April Day completed a new special 50 H.P. Gnome-powered Day Tractor for a customer in Portland, Oregon.

In May, 1913 Day announced the merger of his business with the Glenn Martin Company and he returned to Martin as General Superintendent. There Day helped Martin start a special new plane for the Great Lakes Reliability Cruise scheduled to start from Chicago on July 8th. This was a competitive event for water flying craft from Chicago to Detroit, via the shore line of the Great Lakes, through the Straits of Mackinaw. Called the Martin Aeroyacht it was a 38 foot span tractor biplane with an 80 H.P. Curtiss OX engine, and designed for either land or float undercarriage. It was flown in California for four days then shipped to Chicago where it arrived on July 5th. Day was with Martin on this expedition and was to accompany him, as his mechanic, on the cruise.

Five contestants were entered in the event and in the rush to get ready Martin and Day had a mishap with the plane which delayed their starting on schedule. A severe storm in the area nearly put and end to the event on July 8th but they got away the following morning and flew to Lake Harbor near Muskegon, Michigan that day. Storms held them there until the 14th when they flew on to Pentwater, Michigan. There they were held up again by bad weather and decided to quit the race because

4
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.