Viewing page 8 of 26

Government order for twelve Model H planes and the firm began to expand, moving to Plainfield for added facilities.

Day carried on a very active engineering program and by the early summer of 1917 had brought out single and twin engine planes for both land and water, a single-seater scout and the famed T-1 trainer that became one of the standardized World War 1 machines. Later the company name was again changed to Standard Aircraft Corporation, plant facilities were increased at Plainfield and another plant was acquired at Elizabeth, New Jersey. Day also assisted in re-engineering and supervising the construction of the foreign Handley-Page and Caproni planes to United States production at that time. 

As a major staff member of one of the largest United States producers of aircraft during World War 1 Day clearly demonstrated his ability as one of the topflight aeronautical engineers of the industry. After the War Day engineered some special planes for the then growing Air Mail Service. In 1921 he designed the C.D. Express biplane with Liberty engine, which was planned for freight and cargo use with an 1,800-pound load capacity. It was later built by the Rodgers Construction Company of Gloucester, New Jersey.

Day left Standard in 1923 to become American Sales Engineering Representative for Elektron Metals, a German firm, to promote the use of magnesium in the United States aircraft industry, and remained in this capacity until late 1927. At that time he became Vice-President and Chief Engineer of the Gates-Day Aircraft Corporation, Paterson, New Jersey. Manufacturing facilities were established at that Teterboro, New Jersey airport and the New Standard plane was brought out. The first one, called the GD-24, was a large 5-place open cockpit biplane with Hisso engine, for passenger work and mail service. This plane, announced in July, 1928, was followed by some smaller 2-place biplanes for training and sport, using Kinner or Cirrus engines. 

In 1929 the firm name was changed to New Standard Aircraft Corporation, still in Paterson, New Jersey, and their line of open biplanes for both land and water was continued. Day remained there until the end of 1930 when he retired from the firm and decided to take an extended vacation.
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.