Viewing page 16 of 24

completed a small, single-seater tractor biplane, powered by a 6 cyl. 50 H.P. 
Radial engine. Designed especially for exhibition work it could be quickly 
knocked down and crated for shipment. Benoist installed right controls and 
after Day had flown it a few times his company bought it. 
        P.G.B. (Bud) Morriss because Day's booking agent. He had Day pose for
pictures in short pants and billed him as SATAN DAY--THE BOY AVIATOR, with 
   his name painted under the wings in five 
[stamped] FROM THE FLYING PIONEERS BIOGRAPHIES OF HAROLD E. MOREHOUSE   foot letters. Day did considerable 
   flying at Cicero and in the Chicago vicinity that summer. He escaped injury 
when a faulty propeller caused him to crash into the race track fence at Anna, 
Illinois, while flying a Fourth of July exhibition. The highlight of the 
summer came in August when he put on a two-day exhibition at his home town, 
Gibson City, along with Frank Kastory, one of his Cicero colleagues, who flew 
a P.L.V. two-seater biplane. 
        In June, 1916, he became Assistant Instructor at the Wright Flying School 
at Hempstead Plains, Long Island, New York. His former instructor, Howard 
Rinehart, was in charge of the School and it was a pleasant assignment for Day. 
All went well until one morning in July when a wingwarping wire broke and he 
sideslipped in, fracturing his right wrist. 
        Soon after graduating from college in 1917 Day began flying Jennies at 
Chanute Field. After two months as an instructor at Scott Field that fall he 
joined the Air Service. He was commissioned and received his R.M.A. Wings in 
1918. On August 14th, while in the Service, he also received Expert License 
No. 187. 
        In 1925 Day was a member of the Escadrille Cherifienne during the Riff 
War in Morocco. Returning to the United States he quit flying and entered the 
hotel business. During the latter part of World War II he worked in the Oper-
ations Department of Eastern Air Lines at LaQuardia Field, New York and Savannah, Georgia. Now retired, he lived in Eldhard, Indiana.
        Flying Pioneer Curtiss Day devoted the major part of his early life to  
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact