Viewing page 7 of 19
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
Following this, DeKor apparently became interested in flying and in August,1911 purchased a biplane from Glenn L. Martin at Santa Ana, California and proceeded to teach himself to fly at Martin's flying field, by the grass cutting method. This plane was a Martin-built Curtiss-type machine with a Hall-Scott 8 cylinder 60 H.P. engine. HE made rapid progress learning to fly, and in about a month was making short cross-country flights in the neighborhood of the field and doing exceptionally well for a beginner. On September 27th, 1911 DeKor flew his plane from Santa Anan to Domingues Field near Compton, a distance of 40 miles in 55 minutes. For such an inexperienced aviator, this was a remarkable flight. On September 30th, he flew from Domingues Field to Anaheim, California, a distance of 50 miles, in about an hour at an altitude of 2,500 feet. DeKor flew his license tests with his Martin plane at Santa Ana on October 14th and received F.A.I license no. 72 dated November 1st, 1911. On October 16th, he flew from Santa Ana to Los Angeles, where he continued flying practice and obtained Aero Club of California Pilot License No. 8. Still practicing there, he entered the local amateur events of the 1912 Los Angeles Meet held at Domingues Field on January 20th through 28th. Later he left the west coast for an exhibition tour in Texas and across the southern states. On April 1st, he was making flights for the Smith-Hahn Company of Houston. DeKor exhibited through the mid-west and southern states that season and by Fall was in Georgia, where he flew at a Fair at Cuthbert from October 31st to November 3rd. There he carried authoris(z)ed mail from a sub-station at the Fair Grounds to a place near the Post Office where it was dropped from the air for postal employees to collect. Shortly after this, he returned to Los Angeles where he had the local plane builders, the GageMcClay Company, thoroughly overhaul his plane and rebuild it into a headless type to increase the speed. This plane is called the "Green Dragon" because the wing coverings were a deep green rubberized material specially
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.