Viewing page 19 of 22

two-cycle engine. When ^ (it was) completed, Denehie learned to fly the plane and Crawford entered and flew the machine in the Los Angeles Meet held January 20(th) (to) 28(th), 1912.
 After the event they continued their operations at Dominguez ^(Field) until Crawford had a forced landing in February and smashed the plane, then Denehie left to build a plane for himself in a barn near Inglewood, California. It was similar to the Crawford plane he had helped build except that it was double-surfaced and powered by a used Roberts engine. Denehie made many flights with this plane but was plagued with engine trouble and forced landings. He finally had a bad smash-up when the engine quit shortly after take-off, but he was not injured.
Denehie sold the wreckage, quit aviation and joined the sales staff of Earle C. Anthony, Inc., automobile distributors. (There) one of his fellow employees was H. A. Sperl who had previously learned to fly at the Christofferson flying school, so a close relationship soon developed between them.
Denehie and Sperl remained on the Anthony auto sales staff until 1916, at which time they bought an OX-powered Gage tractor biplane and left on a barnstorming tour throughout the southwest, flying exhibitions and carrying passengers. 
At the start of World War I Denehie joined the United States Army Air Service and was assigned ^(as) Aviati on Technician ^(to) Squadron "K" at Kelley Field, Texas, where he remained until discharged after the war in 1919. 
Following this he returned to Los Angeles and resumed barnstorming operations with Sperl until 1920 when they sold their plane and split up. Denehie then returned to the Anthony automobile Sales agency, becoming Sales Manager of their Commercial Vehicle Department, selling Reo and Packard trucks.
About this time renowned race car driver Ralph DePlama was on the west coast with his "Packard Special" competing in local racing events (,) and Denehie served as a (part time) member of his pit crew. (Crossed out- to some extent. At that time) DePalma also had his 20 year old nephew, Peter DePaolo, serving with him on his staff of assistants. 
In 1922 the Reo Motor Car Company withdrew the west coast sales franchise with the Anthony Company and established their own factory branch, headed by B. C. Foy, who assigned Denehie to the new Reo sales staff, where he remained
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact