Viewing page 21 of 22
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
by the firm, a task which he accomplished in eight months. Denehie then became affiliated with a former Lockheed employee, first on engineering consulting projects, then they formed the Multiplex Engine Company of Los Angeles, and designed and developed a low-cost 85 H.P. 4-cylinder air-cooled aircraft engine for sport planes. Some of its features were patented. Following completion of the initial experimental development in 1934, Denehie negotiated exclusive manufacturing right with Aluminum Industries, Incorporated, of Cincinati, Ohio, and joined the firm to become Chief Experimental Engineer of their Engine Department. In January, 1937, a bad flood on the Ohio River destroyed the project and closed down the plant. Denehie then obtained employment with the Chrysler Corporation, Detroit, Michigan, where eventually he became staff assistance to B. C. Roy, President of the DeSoto Division on special assignment as a liaison officer between DeSoto and the other Chrysler Divisions. In 1941 Chrysler took a contract to mass produce B-26 Martin bombers for the Government, Denehie was assigned to the project and sent to the Martin plant at Baltimore, Maryland, with a staff of men to prepare for the carrying out of the contract. As World War II started the Chrysler Detroit plant was in full operation. Chrysler also contracted to produce the Wright 2300 H.P., 3350 engine and built a large factory in Chicago, Illinois, for this project. During the fall of 1942 Denehie was transferred to the Chicago engine plant as assistance to the Chief Engineer, and remained there until September, 1945, at the close of the war. Returning to Detroit, Denehie found the Chrysler operations closed down by a general strike so he joined Preston Tucker of "Tucker Dream Car" fame at Ypsilanti, Michigan, as Tucker's assistant on the new car project. The Tucker Corporation took over the Chrysler Chicago engine plant and Denehie was assigned to supervise a complete inventory of the assets. When the first Tucker car was completed a nationwide ssales tour was made to show the car to the public. A twin-engine cargo plane was used for this purpose and in 1948 Denehie piloted this plane from coast to coast and border to border, visiting all the major cities on a Tucker car demonstration assignment. He remained
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.