Viewing page 10 of 20

JN-4HM planes with 150 h.p. Hisso engines at the Curtiss plant in Buffalo, New York. [[strikethrough]] that [[/strikethrough]] These planes had been specially built [[strikethrough]] for [[/strikethrough]] to start the first airmail service [[strikethrough]] to start [[/strikethrough]] between Washington, D.C., and New York.

In 1919 DePew was a top winner in the Toronto-to-New York Race and that year he rejoined the Curtiss Company and with Roland Rohlfs managed the newly formed Curtiss Flying School at Mineola, Long Island, where he remained until February, 1922. On July 2, 1921, flying a Curtiss Oriole, DePew made a special hurried flight from Jersey City, New Jersey, to Cleveland, Ohio, carrying several reels of prize fight film for movie houses. During this period he also assisted in the development, and conducted the flight tests, for the first skin radiators on an Oriole plane. Applied to the surfaces of the lower wings, these zero drag radiators were later used on the celebrated Curtiss military race planes.

In February, 1922, DePew went to Argentina as Manager of the Curtiss Export Corporation there, returning to the United States in late 1923 as Sales Manager, Chief Pilot and Manager of Flying Operations for the Aerial Camera and Aeroplane and Motor Divisions of Fairchild Corporation at Farmingdale, Long Island. He remained with Fairchild until 1932 during which time he served in various capacities that contributed toward the successful growth of the Fairchild Corporation. He did aerial mapping, sales promotion by flying in National Air Races and Reliability Tours, flight testing of new type planes and engines, including the initial flight testing of the unique Fairchild-Caminez 150 h.p. Caminez engine in an Avro biplane in early 1926.

In 1928 DePew was a consultant on the aviation advisory board of the William E. Arthur Company of New York, Airport Planners and Builders.

DePew became a member of the Caterpillar Club during the summer of 1929 while flying a passenger to Cleveland in a Fairchild 71. They encountered a bad storm west of Reading, Pennsylvania, and were forced to jump from 11,000 feet about 20 miles east of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. That year he was a member of the Committee of Commercial Aircraft Manufacturers Section of the Aeronautical Chamber of Commerce.

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact